Gustav Fredrick Goetsch (1877-1969) was born in Gaylord, Minnesota. Goetsch attended
the Minneapolis School of Fine Arts for five years, followed by a year at the
New York School of Fine Arts, and several further years studying art in Europe.
In 1904–1909 he returned to the Minneapolis Art School as an instructor.
From 1909 to 1914 he lived in St. Louis and taught at Washington University’s
St. Louis School of Art (predecessor to the School of Fine Arts). Returning to
the north, from 1914-1917 Goetsch was the Principal of the Fine Arts Department
at the Minneapolis School of Fine Arts, before settling permanently in St. Louis
and returning to the faculty of Washington University’s St. Louis School of Art in
1917. From 1946, until his retirement in 1952, Goetsch also taught in the
Washington University School of Architecture.
Highly prolific, Goetsch’s work is often considered warmly spirited, cautiously
serene, and exhibits a considerable amount of technical skill.