Building Information Files 1892–2009
Biographical / Historical Note
When Washington University was first founded, its buildings and classrooms were located at the intersection of Washington Avenue and Seventeenth Street. In 1892, it was decided that the campus would be moved to a site north of Forest Park. Construction on this new campus started with seven buildings: Brookings Hall, Busch Hall, Cupples Hall No. 1, Cupples Hall No. 2, Liggett Hall, Ridgeley Hall, and a building for the Department of Physics. Since then, construction has continued on the Danforth Campus [formerly called Hilltop Campus] with the additions of numerous other buildings.