The St. Louis directory and register :
St. Louis Notes Directory
Notes on St. Louis.
View original image: Page  npn

St. Louis, Missouri, is a flourishing incorporated
post town, pleasantly situated on the right bank of
the Mississippi river, 18 miles below the junction of
the Missouri; 190 above the month of Ohio; and about
1200 above New Orleans. It is the seat of justice
for St. Louis county, and is in a township of the same
name. In latitude 38° 39′ N.North and long. 12° 51′ W.West
from Washington City. It is the largest town in the
state, of which it is the commercial metropolis. The
site is elevated and has a decided advantage over any
of the other towns, on account of its being a bold
shore of limestone rocks, which repels the floods:—
Such situations are very rare, as the Mississippi is
almost universally bounded either by high perpendi-
cular rocks or loose alluvial soil, the latter of which
is in continual danger of being washed away by the
annual floods. This spot has an abrupt acclivity from
the river to the first bottom; and a gradual one from
it, to the second; the first bank has a view of the
river and the numerous boats ranged along the shore
and moving on its waters, and is elevated about 40
feet; the second bank is 40 feet higher than the first
bottom, and affords a fine view of the town, river,
and surrounding country. St. Louis, extends nearly
2 miles along the river, and the country around, and
west of it for the distance of 15 miles, is an extended
prairie of a very luxuriant soil, beautifully undulating,
and covered with shrubby oak, and a variety of other
small growth.

St. Louis, was first settled by Mr. Peter De La-
clede Liguest, who had obtained, at New Orleans,
from the French authority, the exclusive privilege of

Notes on St. Louis.
View original image: Page  npn

the Indian trade on the Missouri river. When he
first came in the Illinois country,* there was on the
west bank of the Mississippi river, only the weak
and small settlement of Saint Geneviece; its dis-
tance from the Missouri, was by no means suita-
ble to his views, and he was determined to find a
more convenient situation:—he, therefore visited all
parts of the country and found that the spot on which
the town now stands, was best calculated for his
contemplated purposes, as much by the richness
of the soil as by its short distance by land to the
Missouri, Meramec, and other neighbouring streams,
but principally for the beauty of its elevation,
which undoubtedly, is without a parallel in upper
Louisiana. Mr. De Laclede, considering these advan-
tages, settled himself, and had the first trees felled on
the 15th February, 1764. He frequently told his
friends, that he was commencing the foundation of a
town, which might prove with time, to be one of the
greatest in America. Shortly after the beginning of
this settlement, several inhabitants from Cahokia and
fort Chartres, came and settled themselves. Mr. Do
Laclede, encouraged and protected them against the
Indians, over whom he had great ascendency. These
new settlers, Indians, and Missouri travellers, (boat-
men,) gave to this new settlement, the name of ``La-
clede's village,'' though the latter never would con-
sent to it, and caused it to be in all the official docu-
ments, named ``St. Louis,'' which at length prevailed:
He made choice of this name in honor of Louis, XV
then king of France.

Since this period the progress of civilization and
improvement, is wonderful—It is but about 40 years
since the now flourishing, but yet more promising
state of Missouri, was but a vast wilderness, many of
the inhabitants of this country, yet remembering the

* At this early period, the country on both sides of the Miss is
sippi, was known as Illinois, and was first settled from Canada, by
the way of the lakes, and the Illinois and other rivers.

Notes on St. Louis.
View original image: Page  npn

time when they met together to kill the Buffaloe at
the same place where Mr. Philipson's, On saw and
flour mill is no erected, and on Mill Creek, near to
where Mr. Chouteau's mill now stands—What a pro-
digious change has been operated! St. Louis, is now
ornamented with a great number of brick buildings,
and both the scholar and the courtier could move in a
circle suiting their choice and st..—

By the exertions of the Right Reverend Bishop
Louis William Du Bourg, the inhabitants have seen a
fine brick Cathedral rise, at the same spot where stood
formerly an old log Church, then sufficient, but which
now would scarcely be able to contain the tenth part
of the Catholic congregation; This elegant building
was commenced in 1818, under the superintendance
of Mr. Gabriel Paul, the Architect, and is only in
part completed: as it now stands it is 40 feet front by
135 in depth and 40 feet in height. When completed
it will have a wing on each side, running its whole
length, 22 1-2 feet wide and 25 in height; giving it a
front of 85 feet. It will have a steeple the same height
as the depth of the building, which will be provided
with several large bells expected from France. The
lot on which the Church, College, and other buildings
are erected, embraces a complete square, a part of
which is used as a burial ground. The Cathedral of
Saint Louis, can boast of having no rival in the Unit-
ed States, for the magnificence, the value and ele-
gance of her sacred vases, ornaments and paintings;
and indeed few Churches in Europe possess any
thing superior to it. It is a truly delightful sight to
an American of taste, to find in one of the remotest
towns of the Union a Church decorated with the ori-
ginal paintings of Rubens, Raphael, Guido, Paulo,
Veronze, and a number of others by the first modern
masters of the Italian, French and Flemish schools—
The ancient and precious gold embroideries which the
St. Louis Cathedral possesses, would certainly decorate
any museum in the world. All this is due to the libe-

Notes on St. Louis.
View original image: Page  npn

rality of the Catholics of Europe, who presented
these rich articles to Bishop Du Bourg, on his last
turn through France, Italy, Sicily, and the Nether-
lands. Among the liberal benefactors could be named
many princes and princesses; but we will only insert
the names of Louis XVIII the present King of France
and that of the baronness Le Candele de Ghyseghem,
a Flemish lady to whose munificence, the Cathedral,
is particularly indebted; and who even lately, has
sent it a fine, large and elegant Organ, fit to corres-
pond with the rest of the decorations. The Bishop,
possesses besides, a very elegant and valuable Libra-
ry containing about 8000 volumes, and which is with-
out doubt, the most complete, scientific and literary
repertory of the western country, if not of the west-
ern world. Though it is not public, there is no doubt
but the man of science, the antiquary, and the lin-
guist, will obtain a ready access to it, and find the
Bishop, a man endowed at once with the elegance and
politeness of the courtier; the piety and zeal of the
Apostle, and the learning of a Father of the Church.
Connected with this establishment, is the Saint Louis
College, under the direction of Bishop Du Bourg.—
It is a two story brick building, and has about 65
students, who are taught the Greek, Latin, French,
English, Spanish and Italian languages, Mathema-
tics elementary and transcendent, drawings, &c.—
There are several teachers. Connected with the Col-
lege, is an Ecclesiastical Seminary, at the Barrens in
St. Genevieve county; where Divinity, the Oriental
languages, and Philosophy, are taught.

St. Louis likewise contains 10 common schools; a
brick Baptist Church, 40 feet by 60, built in 1818;
an Episcopal Church of wood; the Methodist con-
gregation hold their meetings in the old court house;
and the Presbyterians in the circuit court room.—In
St. Louis, are the following Mercantile, Professional,
Mechanical, &c. establishments, viz: 46 Mercantile
establishments, which carry on an extensive trade,

Notes on St. Louis.
View original image: Page  npn

with the most distant parts of the Republic, in mer-
chandise, produce, furs and peltry; 3 Auctioneers,
who do considerable business: each pays $200 per
annum to the state, for a license to sell, and on all
personal property sold, is, a state duty of 3 per cent,
on real estate 1 1-2 per cent, and their commission of
5 per cent; 3 weekly newspapers, viz: the ``St. Louis
Inquirer,'' ``Missouri Gazette,'' & ``St. Louis Re-
gister,'' and as many Printing Offices; 1 Book-store;
2 Binderies; 3 large Inns, together with a number of
smaller Taverns & boarding houses; 6 Livery Stables;
57 Grocers and Bottlers; 27 Attorneys and Counsel-
lors at Law; 13 Physicians; 3 Druggists & Apothe-
caries; 3 Midwives; 1 Portrait Painter, who would
do credit to any country; 5 Clock and Watch makers.
Silversmiths and Jewellers; 1 Silver Plater; 1 En-
graver; 1 Brewery, where is manufactured, Beer,
Ale, and Porter, of a quality equal to any in the west-
ern country; 1 Tannery; 3 Soap and Candle Fac-
tories; 2 Brick Yards; 3 Stone Cutters; 14 Brick-
layers and Plasterers; 28 Carpenters; 9 Black-
smiths; 3 Gun smiths; 2 Copper and Tin ware ma-
nufacturers; 6 Cabinet makers; 4 Coach makers and
Wheelwrights; 7 Turners and Chair makers; 3
Saddle and Harness manufacturers; 3 hatters; 12
Tailors; 13 Boot and Shoe manufacturers; 10 Or-
namental, Sign and House Painters and Glaziers; 1
Nail Factory; 4 Hair dressers and perfumers; 2
Confectioners and Cordial distillers; 4 Coopers,
Black, Pump and Mast makers; 4 bakers; 1 Comb
Factory; 1 Bell-man; 5 Billiard-Tables, which pay
an annual tax of $100 each, to the state, and the same
sum to the corporation; several Hacks or pleasure
Carriages, and a considerable number of Drays and
Carts; several professional Musicians, who play at
the Balls, which are very frequent and well attended
by the inhabitants, more particularly the French, who, in general, are remarkably graceful performers, and
much attached to so rational, healthy and improving,

*

Notes on St. Louis.
View original image: Page  npn

an amusement; 2 Potteries, are within a few miles,
and there are several promising gardens in and near
to the town.

By an enumeration taken by the Editor of this
work, in May, 1821, it appears that the town con-
tains the following number of dwelling houses, viz:—
154 of Brick and Stone, and 196 of Wood, in the
North part of the town, and 78 of Brick and Stone,
and 223 of Wood, in the South part; making 232
Brick, &c. and 419 of Wood, and a total of 651.—
There are besides the dwelling houses, a number of
Brick, Stone, and wooden Warehouses, Stables,
Shops and out houses.—Most of the houses are fur-
nished with a garden, some of which are large and
under good cultivation. The large old fashioned
dwellings, erected by the French inhabitants, are
surrounded by a piazza, which renders them very
pleasant, particularly during the heat of summer.—
The ``Steam-Boat-warehouse,'' built by Mr. Josiah
Bright, is a large brick building, and would do credit
to any of the Eastern cities. The Market-house is
well supplied with fish and fowl, good meat and vege-
tables, fruit in its season, and in short every thing
that the country affords, in abundance, at reasonable
prices.

St. Louis was incorporated by the Court of Com-
mon Pleas, at their November term, 1809, when the
country was known as the Territory of Louisiana;
under the following limits, viz:—``Beginning at
Roy's mill on the bank of the Mississippi river,
thence running 60 arpens west, thence south on said
line of sixty arpens in the rear, until the same comes
to the Barriere denoyer, thence the south until it
comes to the Sugar Loaf, thence due east to the Mis-
sissippi, from thence by the Mississippi, along low
water mark, to the place first mentioned.''—The
bounds of the town, as it respects the taxing of the
inhabitants, is confined to the following bounds, viz:
commencing at the mouth of mill creek, (where it

Notes on St. Louis.
View original image: Page  npn

enters the Mississippi river,) thence with the said
creek to the mill-dam, thence with the north arm of
mill creek to the head of the same, thence by a line
running parallel with the Mississippi river, until it
intersects the north boundary of the corporation.

The town is governed by five Trustees, who are
elected on the 6th December annually, by the inha-
bitatus.—There is also a Register whose duty it is to
see that the Ordinances are enforced; an Assessor
and an Inspector of lumber.

The Board of Trustees has passed a number of
very wholesome Ordinances for the establishment and
support of order, all of which, can be seen in the Or-
dinance book, in the office of the Corporation. South
B. street, above Main street, which is open every
morning, Sundays excepted, from 10 to 12 o'clock.

The assessed amount of taxable Property in the
Corporation of St. Louis, for 1821, is about $940-
926, which gives about $3763, tax.

Eight streets run parallel with the river, and are
intersected by twenty-three others at right angles;
three of the preceding, are in the lower part of the
town, and the five others in the upper part. The
streets in the lower part of the town are narrow, be-
ing from 32 to 38 1-2 feet in width; these streets on
``the Hill,'' or upper part, are much wider, ``The
Hill,'' is much the most pleasant and salubrious, and
will no doubt, become the most improved. The
lower end of Market street is well paved, and the
Trustees of the town have passed an Ordinance for
paving the side Walks of Main street, being the se-
cond from and parallel to the river, and the principal
one for business: This is a very wholesome regula-
tion of the Trustees, and is the more necessary as
this and many other streets are sometimes so
extremely muddy as to be rendered almost impas-
sable. It is hoped that the Trustees, will next pave
the middle of Main street, and that they will pro-
ceed gradually, to improve the other streets; which,

Notes on St. Louis.
View original image: Page  npn

will contribute to make the town more healthy, add
to the value of property, and make it a desirable
place of residence. On the Hill, in the centre of the
town is a public square 240 by 300 feet, on which it
is intended to build an elegant Court-House:—The
various courts, are held at present, in buildings ad-
jacent to the Public square. A new stone Jail of two
stories, 70 fect front, by 30 deep, stands west of the
site for the Court-House.

Market street, is in the middle of the town, and is
the line dividing the North part from the South:
Those streets running North from Market street,
have the addition of North to their names, and those
running in the opposite direction, South, for example,
North-Main street, South-Main street, North A.&c.
street, South A. street. The houses were first num-
bered by the publisher of this Directory, in May, 1821.

The fortifications, erected in early times, for the
defence of the place, stand principally on ``the Hill.''
They consist of several circular stone towers, about
15 feet in height, and 20 in diameter, a wooden block
house, and a large stone Bastian, the interior of
which is used as a garden, by Captain A. Wetmore,
of the United States army.

Just above the town are several Indian mounds &
remains of antiquity, which afford an extensive and
most charming view of the towns and beautiful sur-
rounding country, situated in the two states of Mis-
souri and Illinois, which are seperated by the ma-
jestic Mississippi, and which is likewise observed in
the scene as she glides along in all her greatness. Ad-
jacent to the large mound nearest to the town, is the
Mound Garden, belonging to Col.Colonel Elias Rector, and
kept by Mr. James Gray, as a place of entertainment
and recreation: the proprietor has displayed con-
siderable taste in laying it out in beds and walks and
in ornamenting it with flowers and shrubbery—In
short it affords a delightful and pleasant retreat from
the noise, heat and dust of a busy town.

Notes on St. Louis.
View original image: Page  npn

There is a Masonic Hall in which the Grand Lodge
of the state of Misouri, the Royal Arch, and the Mas-
ter masons' Lodges are held. Connected with this
excellent institution, is a burying ground, where poor
Masons are interred at the expense of the Fraternity.
The Council Chamber of Gov.Governor William Clark, where
he gives audience to the Chiefs of the various tribes
of Indians who visit St. Louis, contains probably
the most complete Museum of Indian curiosities, to
be met with any where in the United States; and
the governor is so polite as to permit its being visit-
ed by any person of respectability at any time.

There are two fire engines, with properly organ-
ised companies; one of which is in the North part of
the town, and the other in the South; every dwell-
ing and store has to be provided with good lea-
ther fire buckets.

Mr. Samuel Wiggins, is the proprietor of two ele-
gant and substantial Team-Ferry Boats, that ply re-
gulary and alternately, from the bottom of North H.
street, near the Steam boat Warehouse, to the oppo-
site shore. The great public ability of this mode of
conveying persons & property across the Mississippi
needs no comment, but gives the enterprising owner
of them, a high claim to the patronage of his fellow-
citizens. The River at the ferry is 1 and an 8th
mile in width. Opposite the upper part of the town
and above the ferry, is an island about one mile and
an half in length, containing upwards of 1000 acres:
it belongs to Mr. Samuel Wiggins. A considerable
sand bar has been formed in the river, adjoining the
lower part of the town, which extends far out, and has
thrown the main channel over on the Illinois side;
when the water is low it is entirely dry, and is covered
with an immense quantity of drift wood, nearly suffi-
cient to supply the town with fuel, and only costs the
trouble of cutting and hanling: this is of great conse-
quence to the inhabitants of St. Louis, particularly as
the growth of wood is small in the immediate neigh-

Notes on St. Louis.
View original image: Page  npn

bourhood, on this side of the river. Wood is likewise
brought down the river in large quantities for disposal.

Population in 1810, 1,000; in 1818, 3,500; and at
this time, (1821,) about 5,500,—The town and county
contains 9,732. The population is much mixed,
consisting principally of Americans, from every part
of the Union; the original and other French, of whom
there are 155 families; and foreigners of various na-
tions; consequently the Society is much diversified,
and has no general fixed character:—This, the read-
er will perceive, arises from the situation of the coun-
try in itself new, flourishing, and changing: still that
class who compose the respectable part of the commu-
nity, are hospitable, polite, and well informed—And
here. I must take occasion, in justice to the town and
country, to protest against the many calumies circu-
lated abroad to the prejudice of St. Louis, respecting
the manners, and the disposition of the inhabitants.
Persons meet here with dissimilar habits, of a dif-
ferent education, and possessing various localities.
It, is not therefore surprising, that, in a place, com-
posed of such discordant materials, there should be
occasional differences and difficulties.—But, the rea-
der may be assured, that old-established inhabitants
have little participation in transactions which have so
far so much injured the town.

St. Louis, has grown very rapidly;—there is not,
however, so much improvement going on at this time,
owing to the check caused by the general and univer-
sal pressure that pervades the country.—This state
of things can only be temporary here, for it possesses
such permanent advantages from its local & geogra-
phical situation, that it must, ere some distant day,
become a place of great importance; being more cen-
tral with regard to the whole territory belonging to
the United States, than any other considerable town;
and uniting the advantages of the three great rivers.
Mississippi, Missouri, and Illinois, the trade of which
it is the emporium.

Notes on St. Louis.
View original image: Page  npn

``The Missiouri Fur Company'' was formed by se-
veral gentlemen of St. Louis, in 1819, for the purpose
of trading on the Missouri river and its waters. The
principal establishment of the Company is at Council
Bluffs, yet they have several others of minor conse-
quence several hundred miles above,—and it is ex-
pected that the establishment will be extended shortly
up as high as the Mandan villages. The actual capi-
tal invested in the trade is supposed to amount at this
time, to about $70,000. They have in their employ
exclusive of their partners on the river, 25 clerks and
interpreters, and 70 labouring men.

It is estimated that the annual value of the Indian
trade of the Missouri and Mississippi rivers, is $600-
000. The annual amount of imports to this town is stated at upwards of $2,000,000.—The commerce by water, is carried on by a great number of Steam
Boats, Barges, and Keel Boats:—These centre here
after performing the greatest inland voyages, known
in the world. The principal articles of trade are
fur, peltry, and lead. The agricultural productions
are Indian corn, wheat, rye, barley, oats, buck-
wheat, tobacco, and other articles common to the
western country.—Excellent mill stones are found
and made in this country; stone coal is abundant,
and salt petre, & common salt, have been made with-
in a few miles. Within 3 or 4 miles are several
springs of good water, and 7 miles SW.southwest is a Sulphur
Spring. In the vicinity are 2 natural caverns, in
line-stone rocks; 2 miles above town at ``North St.
Louis,'' is a Steam-saw mill; and several com-
mon mills are of the neighbouring streams. The
roads leading from St. Louis are very good, and it is
expected that the Great National Turnpike, leading
from Washington, will strike this place, as the Com-
missioners for the United States have reported in fa-
vor of it.

The American bottom is a very beautiful, rich and
extensive tract on the east side of the Mississippi ex-
tending from the Kaskaskia to within five miles of

Notes on St. Louis.
View original image: Page  npn

the Missouri, being about 90 miles in length by from
2 to 8 in width: opposite to St. Louis it is 7 miles.
The St. Louis market is principally supplied from the
state of Illinois.

The Indian agents and traders, the officers of the
army destined for the upper military posts, and the
surveyors make their outfits at St. Louis, which puts
a great deal of cash into circulation. Here is a Land
office for the sale of the United States' lands in Illi-
nois, Missouri and Arkansaw, a bank with a capital
of $250,000 There is a Theatre of wood, but the
foundation has been laid for a brick one, 40 by 80
feet, which, owing to the present stagnation in busi-
ness, will not be completed very soon. Lumber of
various kinds is brought here from the Gasconade
and other rivers; brick and lime are made; and
stone, sand, and every other material for building,
are abundant. Two stages run from this town; one
to Edwardsville, and the other to Franklin. Colonel
Chouteau's mill dam in the rear of the south part
of the town, is a beautiful sheet of water, affording
plenty of fish and water fowl: it has an outlet to the
Mississippi, below the town.

It is contemplated at some future day to open a
direct intercourse with India by the Missouri and
Columbia rivers. In the course of a few years the
Illinois river will be most probably corrected with
lake Michigan, which will afford incalculable advan-
tages to this place, as it will open a direct water com-
munication, when the New York and Pennsylvania
canals to the lakes are completed, to Montreal, New
York and Philadelphia.

St. Louis is distant from St. Charles 20 miles; Frank-
lin, 130; Carondalet, 6; St. Ferdinand, 15; Hercu-
laneum, 30; St. Genevieve, 60; Potosi, or the lead
mines, 60; Kaskaskia, 65; Edwardsville, 20; Vin-
cennes, 160; Cahokia, 5; Belleville, 18; Alton, 25;
and west from the city of Washington, 982. It is by
water about 650 miles to the Council Bluffs and 1,600
to the Mandan villages.

View original image: Page  npn
[missing figure]

grand lodge of the state of missouri.

Grand Officers, R. W.Thomas, F.Riddick, ,
Grand-Master ;

JamesKennerly, , S.G. Warden ; WilliamBates, . J.
G. Warden ; WilliamRenshaw, , G. Secretary .

ArohibaldGamble, , G. Treasurer .

John W.Honey, , S.G. Deacon ; and,
JohnJones, , J.G. Deacon .

missouri royal arch chapter.

AmosWheeler, , High Priest ; ThompsonDouglass, ,
King ;

AbrahamBeck, , Scribe ; Wm.WilliamWilliam G.Pettus, , Treasurer ;
and Samuel G.I.Decamp, , Secretary .

Meet at the Hall, 1st Thursday preceeding every
full moon.

missouri lodge, no. 12.

EdwardBates, , Master ; J. D.Daggett, , S. Warden ;
JohnWalls, . J. Warden ; P.Haldeman, , Treasurer ;
W. K.Rule, , Secretary ; J. A.Letcher, , S. Deacon ;
ThomasAndrews, , J. Deacon ; JosephWhite, , Steward :
and, John C.Potter, , Tyler .

Meet at the Hall, 1st Tuesday, in every month.

*

View original image: Page  npn
Erin Benevolent Society.

Instituted in 1819, for the purpose of extending re-
lief to distressed Irish Families, who may emigrate
hither and others, whose situation might require pe-
cumary assistance.

*JeremiahConnor, , President ;
ThomasHanly, , Vice-President ;
HughRankin, , Treasurer ; and
DavidGordon, , Secretary .

Stated meetings, 1st Monday in each month.

(*Resigned.)

Counsellors & Attorneys at Law.
Barton, David,
Barton and Bates .
Beck and Spalding ,
Benton, Thomas H.
Block, Eleazer
Brackenridge, Henry M.
Carr, William C.
Conrad, D. H.
Cozens, Horatio
Easton, Rufus,
Farris, Robt.Robert P.
Geyer, Henry S.
Gray & Wright ,
Hempstead, Charles S.
Lawless, Luke E.
Lucas, William
Magenis, Arthur
Perk, James H.
Shurlds, Henry
Strother, George F.
Wash & Carr ,
White, Frederick
Physicians.
Beck, Lewis C.
Carter, . Edward C.
Decamp, Samuel G. I.
Farrar & Walker ,
Fenn, Zeno
Lemignon, Doctor
Gebert, Doctor
Hoffman, H. L.
Lane & Merry ,
Mason, Richard
Villiams, Joseph.
Midwives.
Everhart, Elizabeth
Harden, Jane
Laguaisse, Margaret