In presenting to the public the second edition of the
St. Louis Directory, the publisher has the satisfaction of
knowing that it will be found to be much more complete
and accurate than that of 1836-'37. If any errors and
omissions have occurred, they are such as were unavoida-
ble, and for which he claims the indulgence of those who
can best understand the difficulty of a correct compilation
of names and residences. The work, notwithstanding its
inaccuracies, he believes will recommend itself for its gen-
eral usefulness as well to the citizens of St. Louis, as to
casual visiters and strangers.
The attention of advertisers is respectfully called to the
Advertising Directory prefixed to the volume. When it
is remembered that the Directory will not only be widely
circulated through the city, but will be placed in all the
public houses, and in the steam boats which ply to and
fromSt. Louis, and will be of necessity constantly referred
strangers who visit our city on business, the advan-
tages of an advertisement in the Directory must be appa-
The settlement of St. Louis is of a date somewhat re-
mote. The site on which it stands was selected towards
the close of the year 1763, by Mr.Laclede, , for the pur-
pose of establishing a trading post with the Indians of the
Upper Missouri and Mississippi.
On the fifteenth day of February, 1764, Mr.Laclede, ,
in company with several persons whom he had brought
from New Orleans, Ste. Genevieve, Fort Chartres, and
Kahokia, reached the site which he had previously select-
ed, and proceeded to draw the lines of a town which was
called St. Louis, in honor of Louis Xv., the reigning mon-
arch of France, who claimed the whole country then des-
ignated by the name of Louisiana.
The peculiar situation of the town secured it immedi-
ate importance. The year after its settlement, the French
Commandant , St. Ange, , arrived at St. Louis with a body
of troops, and assumed the powers of Government.—
Thenceforward St. Louis was considered the capital of
Louisiana, and continued the permanent seat of govern-
ment of that portion of country until the final transfer to
the United States.
Established on the very outskirts of civilization, in a
wilderness country, and exposed to the incursions of the
fierce tribes of Indians that surrounded them, the inhabi-
tants of St. Louis confined themselves mostly to agricul-
tural pursuits, each inhabitant being the owner, under con-
cession from the government, of a portion of land adjoin-
ing the town. A few of them, however, engaged in com-
merce, carrying on a profitable traffic in furs and peltries
with the Indians of the Mississippi and Missouri, and
supplying ihe town with articles of merchandize drawn
from New Orleans and Mackinaw, which was then a prin-
cipal depot of English trade. In the meantime the town
did not extend beyond the original limits, and there was
no accession to its population beyond the natural increase
among the inhabitants.
After the transfer of Louisiana to the United States, a
tide of emigration from the eastern states began to pour
into the fertile lands west of the Mississippi. The emi-
grants brought with them a spirit of enterprize in com-
merce, mechanics, and agriculture, which gradually began
to develope the great resources of the country, of which
St. Louis was the most important point. About this time,
also, an important change was effected in the means of in-
land navigation. Hitherto all commercial operations, as
far as regards the transportation of merchandize, had been
carried on by means of keel boats and barges, the effect of
which was, to render the intercommunication, between
different points, tardy, expensive, and unsafe. These in-
conveniences were obviated by the invention of steam
boats, the first of which, the General Pike, made its ap-
pearance in the port of St. Louis in the year 1817.
From this period, particularly, we may date the progress
of the improvement of St. Louis. Its limits and popula-
tion were gradually increased in extent and numbers; and,
in fact, the character and appearance of both were chang-
ed. By intermarriages, and by their social intercourse
with the American settlers, the ancient inhabitants, who
were mostly the descendants of the French and Spanish,
imperceptibly adopted the manners, customs and language
of the strangers, and, in a great measure, suffered their
own to fall into disuse. The style and manner of con-
struction, adopted by the ancient inhabitants in their hous-
es, gave way to the more modern architecture, so that
scarcely a single building remains of those which were
erected when St. Louis was under the dominion of France
and Spain. Agriculture was pursued more extensively
and energetically—the mineral wealth of the country was
brought to light; and the different branches of human in-
dustry, successfully carried on, gave activity to a commerce
which must eventually place St. Louis, with its advanta-
ges of location, on an equality, at least, with the fairest
cities of the western country.
St. Louis is situated on the right bank of the Mississippi,
about twenty miles below the mouth of the Missouri river.
It occupies a plain, which rising gently and gradually at an
angle of about two and a half degrees, to a distance of six
hundred yards from the river, terminates in a horizontal
plane, which extends far to the west, north and south.—
The city is built entirely over a substratum of lime stone,
whirh runs from the bed of the river along the whole
eastern front of the city, and for several miles above and
below, back into the interior to as great a distance. This
natural advantage gives solidity and permanency to the
buildings, furnishes inexhaustible quarries for use or em-
bellishment, and affords to the city an unvarying, safe and
commodious harbor and landing place. The wharf, along
the entire fronl of the city, is a hundred and fifty feet wide,
and the most of it is graded and paved.
In a commercial point of view, the location of St. Louis
is peculiarly fortunate. Its vicinity to the confluence of
two great rivers, gives it the command of all the com-
merce of the countries lying on those streams and their
tributaries, and renders it the depot of all the mineral and
agricultural wealth of those regions; in addition to which,
its proximity to the mouth of the Ohio gives it an easy ac-
cess to the whole range of territory lying west of the Al-
"The vast number of buildings which have been erected
last season and this year, have extended the city much be-
vond its chartered limits; and the general pressure in com-
mercial transactions has not in the least retarded the im-
provement of St. Louis. The inducements to build up the
city are as strong as ever, consisting in the continued high
rents, and the great and increasing demand for dwellings,
business houses and offices. Heavy business operations
are driving the retail dealers back from Front and from
Main or First streets, and property in the back streets,
cross streets, and in some of the alleys, is increasing in
value m an unparalleled extent.
Some difference of opinion exists as to the relative beau-
ty and value of the north and south unimproved grounds
adjoining the city. But those who are so fortunate as to
possess either, will speedily derive so much advantage from
this real estate, as to feel no envious emotions with refer-
ence to their fellow-citizens whose interest lies in an oppo-
site extreme. From the point where the most active busi-
ness now centres, the city is extending up and down the
river, and back from its margin, so steadily, and the per-
manence of the structures are such as to give promise of
resulting in the fine finish of one of the most populous and
opulent cities in the Union.
Among the improvements which are going forward in
South St. Louis, is the grading of the principal avenue,
which leads up towards the city from the ferry-landing.This operation is performed by the U.S. hands employed
in quarrying rock for the improvements in the St. Louis
Harbor. A grade is given them for this purpose, which
they are bound to observe in their labors. A county road
has been likewise ordered, to run from the ferry-landing back
into the interior of the county. These preliminary works
are intended to pave the way to those ultimate improve-
ments which will extend the city of St. Louis, at no dis-
tant day, to that high, beautiful tract of country embraced
in South St. Louis, which, about two years ago, was laid
out into avenues, streets, and lots, in anticipation of such
The opinion, however, prevails generally, that the great
manufacturing district of St. Louis will lie south of the
present improved part of the city. This impression arises
from the apparent certainty, that the Iron Mountain rail-
road will terminate, or begin, on the river below, or at the
lower extremity of the city. Thus the raw materials for
manufactures will be thrown into that district, and there
the most convenient point for shipment of such metals as
come from the mineral region in the interior will be ulti-
mately found to exist.
The marble, free-stone and lime-stone of South St. Louis
contribute not only to the advantage of that portion of the
tract which Nature designed to be densely peopled, but
the city already draws largely from that quarter for build-
ing materials. The inexhaustible beds of coal which lie in
the immediate vicinity of St. Louis, are among the great
sources of its wealth, and are the direct means of pros-
The increase of the population of St. Louis proper, with-
in the corporation, from 1830 up to 1837, has been on an
average of 1831 souls per annum. The population of 1837,
within the corporate limits of the city, was 12,040; but,
with the rapid increase since the last census, it is impossible
to conjecture its present amount.
In the year 1822, the inhabitants of St. Louis were cre-
ated a Corporation by the Legislature, under the name of
the ''Mayor, Aldermen and Citizens of the City of St.
Louis" This corporation is vested with extensive powers
for the regulation of the municipal concerns of the city, and
under their particular government it has continued to em-
bellish and improve.
The healthiness of the situation of St. Louis will not ad-
mit of a doubt. There are no causes to render it insalubri-
ous; and it is a well ascertained fact, that there has been as
little mortality from diseases in St. Louis, as in any other
place of the same population in the United States.
St. Louis contains eight Churches; two Market-Houses,
a Court-House, an Hospital, two Orphan Asylums, nine
Hotels, (including the St. Louis Hotel, not yet completed,)
four brass and iron Foundries, seven Printing Offices, and
a large number of saw and grist Mills. It also contains a
number of primary Schools, a Nunnery, and an Academy
for the education of females, and a University, conducted
by the Order of the Jesnits. The Market and Court
Houses, and the Catholic Church, are very fine and exten-
sive edifices. The last year has Ijeen signalized by the in-
stitution of two Public Schools in this city, with male and
female departments; and these are kept in substantial
houses erected for this purpose, of sufficient capacity for the
accommodation of 240 pupils. Four preceptors are em-
ployed in conducting these schools.
[Enract from the Missouri Gazetteer.]
"City or St. Louis.—Doctor Beck, , in his Gazetteer
published A.D.1823, describes this city as "a flourishing
post-town." At that period it would, perhaps, have required
the exercise of a poetic imagination to predict the import-
ance that this city has attained in little more than half a
score of years; but now, without the spirit of prophecy,
it may be clearly demonstrated, that St. Louis is destined
to become second to one city only in the great valley, and
probably in the union. A despot, wielding the re-
sources of a great empire, may set his foot on a barren
plain, and say, " Here shall a proud emporium of trade a-
rise!" But, in a country where virtuous human action is as
free as the unrestrained cascade, nature must lay the foun-
dations on which art shall build up imperishable wonders!
Such a foundation as that on which the abiding-place of
the everlasting hills is fixed, St. Louis is based upon. Out
of this solid basis of limestone are quarried the materials
that are piled up to magnify the city and adorn the earth.
Many towns of importance have arisen on ground of lim-
ited dimensions; and places with extraordinary commer-
cial advantages have grown up on the borders of navigable
waters, where additional space has been quarried with in-
finite labour out of the base of mountains. But ample
space for a city of the mammoth dimensions of Babylon
itself extends beyond and around the present limits of the
city of St. Louis. At this place the Creator of heaven and
earth, the Ruler of planets, and the Godlike alchymist, in
his allwise disposition of elements, has spread out space
on which to deposite the products of a country of im-
measurable extent! The three great rivers that makeup
"el Padre de las agtcas"—the father of waters—and pour
out, by prescriptive right, into the storehouse of St. Louis,
the treasures of the surface and of the hidden recesses of
the earth, would make a mighty city in the midst of pas-
sive beings. But, with the inducements now presented,
where temples of commerce, witli their well-supported roof-
trees, sustained by broad Doric basements, and doors held
ajar by clear-sighted ministers of trade for the entrance
of men and things, no estimate can compass the extent of
the wealth that Nature and art will heap up here! When
experience shall have fully tested the hazards of trade in
lower latitudes, true wisdom will point to St. Louis as the
place where the purchase and sale of merchandise, and
the products of the surface and of the bowels of the earth,
or the exchange of these commodities, shall be carried on.
The canvass-clad vehicles of trade from the ocean, and the
fire-eating barks on our rivers, may meet at the confluence
of their buoyant elements, and exchange cargoes, and all
balances can be settled at the mammoth city of the West.
Here salubrity and convenience will invite commerce and
the arts to fix their abode; and here, too, will the opulent,
after the money-making bustle of the morning of life, in
the meridian and in the evening of their days, become
tasteful and munificent. The native marbles of South St.
Louis, Ste. Genevieve, and of Pulaski, on the Osage, will
be speedily introduced by the builders of the city, that
improvement in architecture may keep pace with the un-
exampled accumulation of wealth in St. Louis. To do
justice to St. Louis in a description of its component parts,
natural and artificial, would require more space than can
be appropriated in a gazetteer, in which is traced some
brief notices of every section of a state that classes with
the largest in the union."
The commercial importance which St. Louis has attain-
ed, has naturally created jealousy in the minds of many
who inhabit other growing and busy towns, above this
city, on the great rivers, and in the interior of the coun-
try. The inimitable and oft quoted sentence of Captain
Toby, which Mone puts in his mouth when addressing the
fly that had annoyed the old gentleman, micht here be
Appropriately repeated: "There is room enough in the
world for both thee and me!" Other towns may enter
into energetic and active competition with St. Louis; they
"may flourish, or may fade, "—still this proud city, while
conducting with them a mutually beneficial traffic, will
remain prominent, sustained with the capital, enterprise,
and intelligence, which form a basis only paralleled in sta-
bility by the foundation on which it slands. and the felici-
tous location chosen by its wise and liberal founders.
In casting the eye over the map of the United States and
Territories, it must always forcibly strike the observer,
that the central position of St. Louis gives this eity a pe-
culiar advantage: and it is known, that, when navigation
is open, steam vessels are arriving from, and departing,
daily, to all the cardinal points of the compass. The re-
volution of governments and in commerce have buUt up
and destroyed cities; the vicissitudes of fortune have de-
populated towns and countries; but nothing except the
great convulsions of Nature—earthquakes and hurncanee,
the pestilence and sword—can arrest the advancement of
St. Louis to that enviable consideration, which will class
this city among the great emporiums of commerce which
fill and adorn the pages of the annalist.
If vegetation should fail; if sunshine and rain should
withhold their accustomed offices, and no longer fertilize
the earth; if our mighty rivers—the extent and magnitude
of which are deemed fabulous by millions who have not
beheld them—should cease to flow, then will St. Louis be
arrested in her onward march to greatness,—but not 'till
The latitude of St. Louis is one of the essential advan-
tages of its location. Emigrants from the extreme north-
ern sections of the Union, and from the colder regions of
Europe, may here find a period of the winter season which
shall sufficiently remind them of the climate.in their sever-
al places of nativity, and brace them up for the endurance
of our long summers. The inhabitants of lower latitudes
may likewise repair to this point for business purposes, or
to attain a salubrious location, and secure a temporary or
permanent abode in a genial climate. The mighty march
of improvement, in sweeping over the surface of the civil-
ized sections of the earth, has not exempted the fair regions
which surround us from the impress of the arts and scien-
ces. The cunning contrivances which genius substitutes
for brute force, and which contribute so much to the ad-
vantage of the human family, currently reach us by those
means of communication, which outstrip in speed "the
wild horse's wilder sire!"
Little remains for us to do beyond the ordinary atten-
tion to our vocations, with diligence suited to our cupidity,
or love of independence, and that proportion of public
spirit, the expenditures or sacrifices of which reason should
and will direct.
EdwardBrooks, , Captain .
CharlesKeemle, , Lieutenant .
AsaWilgus, , First Engineer .
HiramAlcKee, , Second Engineer .
Elihu H.Shepard, , Secretary and Treasurer .
Number of feet of Hose, 1700.
B.Scverson, , Captain .
H.Winstandley, , Lieutenant .
SamuelHawkens, , First Engineer .
C.Legarier, , Second Engineer .
JosephRowe, , Secretary .
AugustusGuelberth, , Treasurer .
Number of feet of Hose, 1400.
B. W.Ayres, , Captain .
IsaacMcllose, , Lieutenant .
JohnCam, , Engineer .
J. G.Barry, , Secretary and Treasurer .
Number of feet of Hose, 400.
D. B.Hill, , Captain .
AbrahamAllen, , First Lieutenant .
David F.Goodfellow, , Seco?id Lieutenant .
George W.Rucker, , First Director .
OliverQuinett, , Second Director .
CalvinKeith, , Third Director .
AnthonyBennett, , Fourth Director .
John H.Ferguson, , Secretary and Treasurer .
☞ The names of the streets, and the numbers of the
houses, are given, without the superfluous repetition of
the words street and number.
Fim Ward commences at the southern limits of the city,
and extends north to Elm street.
Second Ward commences at Elm, and extends north to
Third Ward commences at Pine, and extends north to
Fourth Ward commences at Vine, and extends to the
northern limits of the city.
The wards extend east and west, from the Mississippi
river to the western limits of the city.
Containing a list of removals, and new establishments
opened, since the body of the Directory
was written out.
merchant , Chestnut street, bbetween Front and First
and commission merchants , 25, nnorth Front
agents —office over J.C. Dinnies & Co's. book store
—entrance on Olive street.