Edwards' annual directory to the inhabitants, institutions, incorporated companies, manufacturing establishments, business, business firms, etc., etc., in the city of St. Louis for ... /
Map of the City
View original image: Page  npn
Map of the City of St. Louis, as first laid out.

This Map is copied from the original one drawn by Colonel AugusteChouteau, , who was at
the founding of the city, in 1764, and first surveyed the land. The map was drawn in conformity
to an order from the Department at Washington, and engraved from the original for “Edwards’
Great West,” a complete history of St. Louis, for sale at all bookstores.

[missing figure]

This old map represents the town of St. Louis, nearly as it was laid out it 1764. Its breadth from
the Mississippi to the west, was to the line of Rue de Grange, (now Third street,) and its length was
some few blocks shorter than the map represents. The wall of fortifications was completed in
1780. The letters have the following significations:

A the Town; B Half Moons; C Bastions; D Gates; E government House; F the Church; G
the Market; H the Little River; I Private Tracts of Land.

The names of the streets that were given ath the laying out of the town were Main street, Church
street, Barn street, now Main street, Second street, Third street, running north and south; Tower
street, Market street, Missouri street, Kickapoo street, now are Walnut street, Market street, Pine
street, running east and west.

The roads leding frem the gates were what are now known as Carondelet Avenue, (then the
well known Vide Poche road;) the Manchester road; the St. Charles road, with its branches; and
a road which led towards where Bremen now is. What looks like blocks of wood represent fields
in cultivation, and the dots show timber. The mark of the compass is given for the purpose of
guiding the reader as to the cardinal points.

[missing figure]

St. Louis Houses Of The Olden Time,