The St. Louis directory and register :
Notes on St. Louis.
View original image: Page  npn

St. Louis, Missouri, is a flourishing incorporated
post town, pleasantly situated on the right bank of
the Mississippi river, 18 miles below the junction of
the Missouri; 190 above the month of Ohio; and about
1200 above New Orleans. It is the seat of justice
for St. Louis county, and is in a township of the same
name. In latitude 38° 39′ N.North and long. 12° 51′ W.West
from Washington City. It is the largest town in the
state, of which it is the commercial metropolis. The
site is elevated and has a decided advantage over any
of the other towns, on account of its being a bold
shore of limestone rocks, which repels the floods:—
Such situations are very rare, as the Mississippi is
almost universally bounded either by high perpendi-
cular rocks or loose alluvial soil, the latter of which
is in continual danger of being washed away by the
annual floods. This spot has an abrupt acclivity from
the river to the first bottom; and a gradual one from
it, to the second; the first bank has a view of the
river and the numerous boats ranged along the shore
and moving on its waters, and is elevated about 40
feet; the second bank is 40 feet higher than the first
bottom, and affords a fine view of the town, river,
and surrounding country. St. Louis, extends nearly
2 miles along the river, and the country around, and
west of it for the distance of 15 miles, is an extended
prairie of a very luxuriant soil, beautifully undulating,
and covered with shrubby oak, and a variety of other
small growth.

St. Louis, was first settled by Mr. Peter De La-
clede Liguest, who had obtained, at New Orleans,
from the French authority, the exclusive privilege of