The St. Louis directory and register :
Notes on St. Louis.
View original image: Page  npn

an amusement; 2 Potteries, are within a few miles,
and there are several promising gardens in and near
to the town.

By an enumeration taken by the Editor of this
work, in May, 1821, it appears that the town con-
tains the following number of dwelling houses, viz:—
154 of Brick and Stone, and 196 of Wood, in the
North part of the town, and 78 of Brick and Stone,
and 223 of Wood, in the South part; making 232
Brick, &c. and 419 of Wood, and a total of 651.—
There are besides the dwelling houses, a number of
Brick, Stone, and wooden Warehouses, Stables,
Shops and out houses.—Most of the houses are fur-
nished with a garden, some of which are large and
under good cultivation. The large old fashioned
dwellings, erected by the French inhabitants, are
surrounded by a piazza, which renders them very
pleasant, particularly during the heat of summer.—
The ``Steam-Boat-warehouse,'' built by Mr. Josiah
Bright, is a large brick building, and would do credit
to any of the Eastern cities. The Market-house is
well supplied with fish and fowl, good meat and vege-
tables, fruit in its season, and in short every thing
that the country affords, in abundance, at reasonable
prices.

St. Louis was incorporated by the Court of Com-
mon Pleas, at their November term, 1809, when the
country was known as the Territory of Louisiana;
under the following limits, viz:—``Beginning at
Roy's mill on the bank of the Mississippi river,
thence running 60 arpens west, thence south on said
line of sixty arpens in the rear, until the same comes
to the Barriere denoyer, thence the south until it
comes to the Sugar Loaf, thence due east to the Mis-
sissippi, from thence by the Mississippi, along low
water mark, to the place first mentioned.''—The
bounds of the town, as it respects the taxing of the
inhabitants, is confined to the following bounds, viz:
commencing at the mouth of mill creek, (where it