Saint Louis directory for the years ... Keemle's directory
Sketch of St. Louis.
View original image: Page  npn

The site on which St. Louis stands was selected, as far back
as 1763, by Mons.Laclede, , and in the following year the town
was laid off and named St. Louis, in honor of Louis Xv, the
reigning monarch of France, who claimed the whole territory
then designated by the name of Louisiana. The advantages of
its situation soon attracted attention, and in the year after its
settlement the French commandnt, St.Ange, , arrived at St.
Louis, and the town became the capital of Louisiana, and so
continued until the transfer of that territory to the U. States.

Up to the time when steam boats were used in the navigation
of the western waters, St. Louis, although the most important
point on the Mississippi river above the mouth of the Ohio, was
comparatively an inconsiderable town. Before that time navi-
gation was carried on by means of keel boats and barges, and
great dlays in intercommunication by water necessarily took
place. In 1817 the first steam boat was seen at St. Louis, the
General Pike. From that time the progress of St. Louis has
been steady and uniform. No city in the west has advanced
more surely, although some have been more rapid in their de-
velopment. Her commercial and mercantile operations have
been based on the solid capital, and not less solid integrity of
her citizens; and have received an impulse from the unquestion-
albe fact, that there is on the Mississippi, above the mouth of the
Ohio, no spot where a city could be located with so many ad-
vantages in its favor, as St. Louis. It is consequently, now, and
must continue to be, the most important point in the vast re-
gion which surround it. To it Missouri, Iowa, Wisconsin, a
large part of Illinois, and a portion of Arkansas, already look for
a market, and there is no reason to suppose that it claims, in
that respect, can be superceded to any extent by any place
which may hereafter spring up.

The growth of St. Louis until within the last seven years was
comparatively slow. In 1810, forty-six years after its establish-
ment, its population was only 700. In 1820 it was about 2,000;
in 1830, 6,252. But little increase upon this took place until