The Saint Louis directory,for the year 1842 ... with a sketch of the city of Saint Louis ..
Xii Sketch Of St. Loots.
View original image: Page  XII

Medical Department of St. Louis University lately organized. Three
public school houses have been erected, which are supported by a pub-
lic fund. A Female Seminary under the charge of the Nuns of the
Sacred Hart. Also, a number of well conducted private male and fe-
male Seminaries and schools, which are well attended. We have
neither the space or time to enumerate all the institutions for education,
and for litterary, charitable and other purposes. There are two Orphan
Asylums, one for males under the care of the Sisters of Charity, the
other under the care of an association of Protestant ladies. The Hos-
pital building, under the care of the Sisters of Charity, has been con-
siderably enlarged, and is now capable of accommodating a large
number of patients. Large additions have been made within the
past year to Hotels and Boarding Houses. The Planters' House, which
was opened during the past year, in the magnitude of the building and
the style in which it is kept, will advantageously compare with any
Eastern Hotel. Other Hotels have been greatly improved.

The city, by the act of incorporation of the 15th of February, 1841,
extends about five miles along the river, and back about one mile and
a half at the deepest part. The limits are thus defined:

"All that district of country contained within the following limits,
to wit: beginning at a point in the main channel of the Missis-
sippi river, due east to the south-east corner of St. George;
thence, due west, to the west line of second Carondelet ave-
nue; thence, north, with the said west line of said avenue, to the north
line of Chouteau avenue; thence, northwardly, in a direct line to the
mouth of Stony creek, above the present north line of the city of St.
Louis; thence, due east, to the middle of the main channel of the Mis-
sissippi river; thence, southwardly, with the middle of the main chan-
nel of the Mississippi river, to the place of beginning."

The city is divided into five wards. The first ward embraces all
south of the line commencing at the mouth of the creek; thence up
the creek to the intersection of Rutgers street; thence west with Rut-
gers street to the western line of the city.

The second ward embraces all lying between the aforesaid creek
and Rutgers street; and Elm street, extending west to the west line
of the city.

The third ward embraces all between Elm and Pine streets.

The fourth ward embraces all between Pine and Laurel streets,
and Washington Avenue.

The fifth ward embraces all within the city limits, lying north of
Laurel street and Washington Avenue.

There are three market places. The middle or old market situated
on Water and Market streets. The north market on Third street, be-
tween Prune and Oak streets. The south market on Carondelet Ave-
nue, below the junction of Fourth and Fifth streets, and in front of
the Convent.

A work house, for the punishment of vagrants and other offenders
against the city ordinances, has been erected at the intersection of
Park Avenue with the west line of the city.