On the 11th of August, 1768, Mr.Rious, arrived with the Spanish
troops and took possession in the name of Spain. In 1789, consequent
upon the revolution at New Orleans, the Spanish troops evacuated Up-
per Louisiana and departed, for New Orleans; but in the year follow-
ing, 1770, PedroPeirnos, was appointed Lieutenant Governor and mili-
tary and civil commandant of Upper Louisiana, under the Spanish
government. He arrived at St. Louis29th November, 1770, and en-
tered upon his command in February following. The country re-
mained under the authority of Spain until 1800, when it was retroce-
ded to France, and by her sold to the United States, and the govern-
ment transferred 1804.
The site on which the town is laid off lies on the river, in nearly the
shape of a semi-circle, presenting, originally, a bold, rock bluff, most of
which has been removed. From the river the ground, after leaving the
bluff, rises in two benches to nearly the height of eighty feet
above the level of the river. From Fourth street or the top of the last
bench, the country back extends many miles in a plain, undulating,
and furnishing within the city limits ground well adapted for com-
pact buildings. Beyond the city limits the country presents numer-
ous unrivaled sites for residences, many being so situated as to com-
mand a full view of the city and river.
The fur trade induced many French settlers, from Canada, and at
an early day, several English adventurers in the same traffic took up
their residence in St. Louis. About three years after the transfer of
Louisiana to the United States the tide of English settlers greatly in-
creased and the town began to assume a more commercial character.
In 1808 there were a number of English families resident in St. Louis.
In that year the Louisiana Gazette (now the Republican) was estab-
lished. In the files of that paper of 1811, we find the following des-
cription of the town:
"This place occupies, perhaps the best scite fcr a town that the Mis-
sissippi affords. The mouth of the Ohio has certainly much greater
natural advantages, but the ground is subject to inundation, and St.
Louis has taken a start, which it will most probably keep. It bids
fair to be second to New Orleans in importance.
"The bank on which St. Louis stands, is not much higher, than in or-
dinary places, but the floods of the river are kept at a distance by a
bold shore of limestone rock. The town is built between the river
and the second bank, on three streets running parallel to the river,
and a number of cross ones, east and west. No space has been left
between the town and the river; which is much to be lamented ; for
sake of health, business, and the pleasure of promenade there should
have been no encroachment on the margin of the noble stream. . The
principal scene of business ought to be on the bank of the river, which
gives consequence to the place. From the opposite bank nothing is visi-
ble of the busy bustle of a populous town; it appears closed up. The
scite of St. Louis is not unlike that of Cincinnati. How different
would have been its appearance if built in the same elegant manner.
Its bosom as it were opened to the breezes of the river, the stream