Green's St. Louis directory :
Saint Louis in 1844. xix
View original image: Page  xix

In the north part of the city there are two tumuli, or mounds,
on the lower one of which the city has constructed a reservoir,
into which water is raised by steam power from the river, and
from thence conducted by iron pipes to the consumer

On the Upper Mound, Messrs. Vandewenter and Field have
built a pavilion, for a pleasure resort. This mound is situated
on Broadway, near the river, about one mile and quarter from
the Court-house. It is of an oblong shape, and about fitty feet
higher than the street which runs alog its base; and about
eighty or ninety feet above the river at this time, (November 30th, 1844.)

The pavilion is a wooden building, 80 feet long and two
stories high, from the top of which there is a magnificent view
up and down the river, and over a portion of the city.

Flour, white-lead, red-lead, linseed oil, castor oil,
&c., are manufactured here, and the business of iron casting,
sugar refining, tanning, stone cutting, boat building and repair-
ing, brick making, sawing of lumbar, planning, &c., are carried
on here toa considerable extent; and in fine, the handiwork
of the artizan is seen in almost every branch, adequate to the
wants of the city, for either use of ornament.

There is a cotton factory in progress in the rear of the store
on the north-east corner of Chesnut and First streets, by Messrs.
Meier & Co.company

There are, for the repairing of vessels and steamboats, one
inclined way, and one floating dock.

There are about fourteen flouring mills, propelled by steam-
power.

There are about twelve steam saw mills located along the
river, within the city limits.

There are six breweries, two planing machines, one hemp,
cotton bagging, and rope factory, two white lead factories,&c.

There are seven daily papers, the Republican, the New Era,
Missourian, Reporter, Evening Gazette, Reveille, People’s
Organ, and the Saint Louis American, the latter advocating the
principles of the American party. There are eleven weeklies,
three tri-weeklies, and one semi-monthly.

There are two packing establishments, one in the south part
of he city, on Second-street, by Mr. Risley, , who slaughtered,
last year, 614 beeves and 6500 hogs; the other is in the north
part of the city, on Broadway, corner of Wash-street, by Messrs.
Sigersons, who slaughtered, and packed, last year, 800 beeves
and 13000 hogs.

The city is divided into six wards, and is governed by a
mayor and two boards of councilmen, chosen annually and bi-
ennially, called the Boards of Alderman and Delegates.