of the Market-house, to commemorate this deplorable visitation,
on which is the following inscription:—
June 27, 1844.
7 Feet 7 Inches
The City Directrix.
38 Feet 11 Inch
Low Water Mark."
This Monument is a plain obelisk, of limestone, 16ft. in height,
set in a pedestal of the same material, about 4ft. square, and
3 ft. thick. It was designed by the city engineer, Mr. Kayser, .
and wrought by Mr. — Wood, , stone-cutter.
There have been between five and six hundred good substan-
tial brick buildings built here this year, and there would have
been a larger number had not the high water cut off the means
of procuring sand, which suspended building operations for two
months at least: besides these, there are many smaller buildings
and shanties, not included in this estimate.
There are from forty to fifty millions of brick made here an-
nually, and put into buildings here and in the vicinity.
The extent of this valley, of which this city is destined to
be the interior metropolis, is from north to south about twelve
degrees, by ten east and west, and embraces an area of five
hundred and thirty-two thousand square miles, with fifteen
thousand miles of steamboat navigation.
The Mississippi river is navigable from the gulf of Mexico
to the falls of St. Anthony, a distance of twenty-two hundred
The trade of this city, connected with the mining districts,
the fur trade, the trade with Mexico by way of Santa Fe, added
to the increasing agricultural trade of this State, of Illinois, Wis-
consin, and Iowa, will guarantee to St. Louis, dimensions, pros-
perity, and ultimate wealth, second only to New Orleans in
this immense valley, watered by its Father of Waters and tri-
butaries, dotted by its hundred cities, destined shortly to be
peopled by untold millions.