The Saint Louis directory for the years 1854-5 :
260 St. Louis [1821] Directory.
View original image: Page  0260
List of Contents.
Advertusements.
Title and List of Contents.
Preface.
Notes on St. Louis.
Masonic Societies.
Erin Benevolent Society.
Counsellors and Attorney’s at Law.
Physicians.
Midwives.
List of Streets, &c.
Directions to the Reader.
Post-office, St. Louis.
Names of inhabitants.
Constitution of the United States.
Constitution of the State of Missouri.
Executive of the State, &c.
Courts and Clerks of Courts.
Officers of the County and Town.
Bank of Missouri.
Fire Companies.
Table of foreign Coins.
Preface.

The Editor, on his arrival at St. Louis, found it very
inconvenient to search out the residence of persons with
whom he had business; which induced him to think of
publishing a Directory and Register , to number the
houses, and to name those streets not heretofore named ;
He made his intentions known to some of the most in-
fluential citizens of the town, who encouraged him to
proceed.——The work is now finished and it is hoped, will
give general satisfaction.——Every well informed person
must be sensibly impressed with the great utility of a
work of this nature, in a town of such importance as
that of St. Louis; being the commercial metropolis of
the state and the emporium of the trade of a greater
extent of country, than that of any other place in the
western region; and is, from its convenient situation,
destined to become much ’the largest town on this side
of the Eastern Mountains.——The labor attendant on
the collection of the necessary information for this under-
taking was very great, more particularly so, as it is the
First publication of the kind attempted in the State
of Missouri. It was at first contemplated to insert a
digest of the Ondinances of the Corporation, but on
examination, they proved too voluminous, and the Con-
stitution of the United States has been substituted in
their stead, which, it is hoped, will give general satis-
faction. In addition to the names of the inhabitants
will be found descriptive notes on St. Louis; the Con-
stitution of the State of Missouri, and a variety of use-
ful information particularised in the “List of Contents.” The reader is requested to examine the “Directions to
the Reader,” at the commencement of the names, in
order that every part may be clearly understood.

The editor takes this opportunity to thank those
gentlemen who so kindly furnished answers to his many
queries, during the time he was engaged in the collec-
tion of information.

Notwithstanding great assiduity and pains have been
used to make the work as complete as possible, no doubt some errors will be found: These, he feels confident, will
be overlooked by an indulgent public.

As the editor lias incurred considerable expense in
accomplishing this work, and as it promises bo much
convenience and usefulness to the citizens, he flatters
himself that it will meet with a ready sale. To those
gentlemen who have patronized him, he tenders hli
most sincere thanks.

John E.Paxton, .

St. Louis, Mo., May 26, 1821.

The following is a return of the Census, by the United
States Marshal, of the inhabitants in the State of
Missouri, on the 1st of August, 1820.

Couty of St. Louis 9732
St. Gencvieve 5048 (including Perry.)*
Wayne 1443
Jefferson 1835
Pike 3747 (including Ralls.)*
Howard 13427 (including Boone,
Chariton and Ray.)*
Montgomery 3074 (inel’g Callaway,)*
St. Charles 3990
Lincoln 1662
Franklin 2379 (including Gascon’de
Madison 2047
Madrid 2296
Cooper 6959 (including Lillard,
Cole and Saline.)*
Cape Girardeau 5965
Washington (say) 3,000
Total 66,607

* Creatad by the Legislature since 1st August, 1820.

Notes of St. Louis.

St. Louis, Missouri, is a flourishing incorporated post
town, pleasantly situated on the right bank of the Mis-
sissippi river, 18 miles below the junction of the Mis-
souri, 190 above the mouth of Ohio; and about 1200
above New-Orleans. It is the seat of justice for St.
Louis county, and is in a township of the same name. In latitude 39’ 38’ N. and long. 12’ 51’ W. from Wash-
ington City. It is the largest town in the state, of which
it is the commercial metropolis. The site is elevated and
has a decided advantage over any of the other towns, on
account of its being a bold shore of limestone rocks,
which repels the floods. Such situations are very rare,
as the Mississipi is almost universally bounded either by
high perpendicular rocks or loose alluvial soil, the latter
of which is in continual danger of being washed away
by the annual floods. This spot hasan abrupt acclivity
from the river to the first bottom; and a gradual one
from it, to the second; the first bank has a view of the
river and the numerous boats ranged along the shore and
moving on its waters, and is elevated about 40 feet; the second bank is 40 feet higher than the first bottom, and
affords a fine view of the town, river, and surrounding
country. St. Louis extends nearly 2 miles along the
river, and the country around, and west of it for the
distance of 15 miles, is an extended praiiie of a very
luxuriant soil, beautifully undulating, and covered with
shrubby oak, and a variety of other small growth.

St. Louis was first setted by Mr. Peter de Laclede
Liguert, who had obtained, at New Orleam from the
French authority, the exclusive privilege of the Indian
trade on the Missouri river. When be firat came to the
Illinois country,* there was on the west bank of the
Mississippi river, only the weak and small settlement of
Saint Genevieve; its distance from the Missouri wms by
no meains suitable to his views, and he was determined
to find a more convenient situation;——he, therefore,

* At this early period, the country on both sides of the Mis
sissi pi, wask known as Illinois, and was first settl d from Canada
by the wny of the lakes, and the Illinois and other rivars.