The Saint Louis directory for the years 1854-5 :
262 St. Louis [1821] Directory.
View original image: Page  0262

St. Louis was incorporated by the Court of Common
Pleas, at their November term, 1809, when the country
was known as the Territory of Louisiana; under the
following limits, viz.——“Beginning at Roy’s mill on the
bank of the Mississippi river, thence runing 60 arpens
west, tbence south on said line of sixty arpens in the
rear, until the same comes to the BarriereDenoyer, thence
due south until it comes to the Sugar Loaf, thence due
east to the Mississippi, from thence by the Mississippi
along low water mark, to the place first mentioned.” The bounds of the town, as it respects the taxing of the
inhabitants, is confined to the following bounds viz:
commencing at the mouth of mill creek, (where it enters
the Mississippi river,) thence with the said creek to the
mill dam, thence with the north arm of mill creek to the
head of the same, thence by a line, running parallel wih
the Mississippi river, until it intersects the north boun-
dary of the corporation.

The town is governed by five Trustees, who are elect-
ed on the 6th December annually, by the inhabitants.
There is also a Register, whose duty it is to sac that the
Oidinances are enforced; an Assessor and an Inspector
of lumber.

The Board of Trustees has passed a number of very
wholesome Ondinances for the establishment, and supporr
of order, all of which can be seen in the Ordinance
book, in the office of the Corporation, South B. street,
above Main street, which is open. every morning, Sun-
days exepted, from 10 to 12 o’clock.

The assessed amount of taxable Property in the Cor-
poration of St. Louis, for 1821, is about $940,926, which
gives about $3763 tax.

Eight streets run parallel with the river, and are in-
tersected by twenty-three others at right angles; three
of the preceding, are in tha lower part of the town, and
the five others in the upper part. The streets in the
lower part of the town are narrow, being from 32 to
38 1-2 feet in width; those streets on “the Hill,” or
upper part, are much wider. “The Hill,” is much the
most pleasant and salubrious, and will no doubt, become
the most improved. Ths lower end of Market street is
wel paved, and the Trustees of the town have passed an
Ordinance for paving the side walks of Main street, be-
ing the. second from and parallel to the river, and the
prin ipal one for business. This is a very wholesome
regulation of the Trustees, and is the more necessary as
this and many other streets are sometimes so extremely
muddy as to be rendered almost impassable. It is hoped
that the Trustees will next pave the middle of Main
street, and that they will proved gradually, to improve
the other streets; which will contiibute to make the
town more healthy, add to the value of property, and
make it a desirable place of residence. On the Hill, in
the centre of the town is a public square 240 by 300 feet,
on which it is intended to build an elegant Court-House. The various courts are held at present in buildings ad-
jacent to the Public Square. A new stone jaill of two
stories, 70 feet front, by 30 deep, stands west of the site
for the Court-House.

Market street is in the middle of the town, and is the
line dividing the North part from the South. Those
streets running north from Market street, have the ad-
dition of North to their names, and those running in the
opposite direction, South, for example, North-Main
street, South Main street, North A.&c. street, south A.
street. The houses were first numbered by the publisher
of this Directory, in May, 1821.

The fortifications, erected in early times, for the de-
fence of the place, stand principally on the “Hill.”
They consist of several circular stone towers, about 15
feet in height, and 20 in diameter, a wooden black
house, and a large stone Bastion, the inteiior of which
is used as a garden, by Captain A. Wetmore, of the
United States army.

Just above the town are several Indian mounds and
reninins of antiquity, which afford an extensive and
most charming view of the towns and beautiful sur-
ronnding country, situated in the two states of Missouri
and Illinois, winch are separated by the majestic Mis
sissipi, and which is likewise observed in the scene as she glides along in all her greatness. Adjacent to the large
mound nearest to the town, is the Mound Garden, be-
longing to Col, Elins Rector, and kept by Mr. James
Gray, as a place of entertainment nnd recreation; the
proprietor has displayed considerable taste in laying it
out in beds and walks and in ornamenting it with flow-
era and shrubbery. In short it affords a delightful and
pleasant retreat from the noise, heat and dust of a busy
town.

There is a Masonic Hall in which tho Grand Lodge of
the state of Missouri, the Royal Arch, and the master
mason’s Lodges are held. Connected with this excellent
institution is a burying ground, where poor Masons are
interred at the expense of the Fraternity. The Council
Chamber of Gov. William Clark, where he gives audlence
to the Chiefs of the various tribes of Indians who visit
St. Louis, contains probably the most complete Museum
of Indian curiosities to be met with any where in the
United States; and the governor is so polite na to per-
mit its being visited by any person of respectability at
any time.

These are two fire engines, with properly organised
companies; ona of which is in the north part of the
town, and the other in the south, every dwelling and
store has to be provided with good leather fire buckets.

Mr. Samuel Wiggins is the proprietor of two elegant
and substantial Team-Ferry Boats, that ply regularly
and alternately, from the bottom of north H. street,
near the Steamboat Warehouse, to the opposite shore.
The givat public utility of this mode of conveying per-
sons and property across the Mississipi needs no com-
ment, but gives the enterprising owner of them, a high
claim to the patronage of his fellow-citizens. The river
at the ferry is 1 and an 8th mile in width. Opposite
the upper part, of the town and above the ferry, is an
island about one mile and a half in length, containing
upwards of 1000 acres; it belongs to Mr. Samuel Wig-
gins. A considerable sand bar has been formed in the
river, adjoining the lower part of the town, which ex-
tenda far out. and has thrown the main channel over on
the II inois side; when the water is low it is entirely
dry, and is covered with an immense quantity of drift
wood, nearly sufficient, to supply the town with fuel, and
only coats the trouble of cutting and hauling; this is of
great consequence to the inhabitants of St. Louis, par-
dcul uly as the giowth of wood is small in tbe immediate
neighborhcod, on this side of the river. Wood is likewise
brought down the river in large quantities for disposal.

Population in 1810, 1,000; in 1818, 3,500; and at this
time, (1821), about 5,500.——The town and county con-
tains 9,732. The population is much mixed, consisting
principally of Americans, from every part of tho Union;
the original and other French, of whom there are 155
families, and foreigners of various nations; consequently
the Society is much diversified, and has no general fixed
character.——This, the reader will perceive, arises from the
situation of the country in itstlf new, flourishing. & chang-
ing: still that class who compose the respectable part of the
community, are hospitable, polite, and well informed.
Ana here, I must take occasion, in justice to the town
and country, to protest against the many calumnies cir-
culated abroad to the prejudice of St. Louis, respecting
the manners, and the dispositions of the inhabitants.
Persons meet here with dissimilar habits, of a different
education, and possessing various localities. It is not
therefore surprising, that, in a place, composed of such
discordant materials, there should bo occasional differ-
ed difficulties.——But, the reader may be assured.
that old-established inhabitants have little participation
in transactions which have so far so much injured the
town.

St. Louis has grown very rapidly; there is not, how-
ever, so much improvement going on at this time, owing
to the check caused by the general and universal pres-
sure that pervades the country.——This state of things
can only be temporary here, for it possesses such per-
manent advantages from its local and geographical
situation, that it must, ere some distant day, become a
place of great importance; being more central wirh
regard to the whole territory belonging to the United