The Saint Louis directory for the years 1854-5 :
St. Louis [1821] Directory. 263
View original image: Page  0263

States, than any other considerable town; ami uniting
the advantages of the three great livers, Mississippi,
Missouri, and Illinois, the trade of which it is the

“The Missouri Fur Company” was formed by several
gentlemen of St. Louis, in 1819. for the purpose of trad-
ing on the Missouri river and its waters. The principal
establishment of the Company is at Council Bluffs, yet
they have several others of minor consequence several
hundred miles above,——and it is expected that the estath
lishment wll be extended shortly up as high as the
Mandan villages. The actual capital invested in the
trade is supposed to amount at this time, to about
$70,000. They have in their employ exclusive of their
partners on the river, 25 clerks and interpreters, and 70
liboring men.

It is estimated that the annual value of the Indian
trade of the Missouri and Mississippi rivers, is $600,000.
The annual amount of imports of this town is stated at
upwards of $2,000,000.——The commerce by water is
carried on by a great number of Steam Boats, Barges
and Keel Boats.—— These centre here after performing the
greatest inland voyages, known in the world. The prin-
cipal articles of trade are fur, peltry, and lead. The
agricultural productions are Indian corn, wheat, rye,
barley, oats, buckwheat, tobacco, and other articles com-
mon to the western country.——Excellent mill stones are
found and made in this county; stone coal is abundant,
and salt petre, and common salt have been made within
a few. miles Within 3 or 4 miles are several springs of
good water, and 7 milessw.southwest is a Sulphur Spring. In
Uie vicinity are 2 natural caverns, in lime-stone rocks;
2 miles above town at “North St. Louis,” is a Steam-
saw mill; and several comtnen milts are on the neigh-
boring streams. The roads leading from St. Louis are
very good, and it is expected that the Great National
Turnpike, leading from Washington, will strike this
place, as the Commissioners for the United States have
reported in favor of it.

The American bottom is a very beautiful, rich and
extensive tract on the east side of the Mississippi ex-
tending from the Kuskaskia to witlhin five miles of the
Missouri, being about 90 miles in length by from 2 to 8
in width; opposite to St. Louis it is 7 miles. The St.
Louis market is principally supplied from the state of

The Indian agents and traders, the officers of the army
destined for the upper military post, and the suiveyors
make their outfits at St. Louis, which puts a great deal
of cash into circulation. Here is a Land office for the
sale of the United States’ lands in Illinois, Missouri and
Arkansaw. a bank with a capital of $250,000. There is
a Theatre of wood, but the foundation has been laid for
a brick one, 40 by 80 feet, which, owing to the present
stagnation in businss.south side. will not be completelvtry soon.
Lumber of various kinds is brought here from the Gas-
conade and other rivers; brick and lime are made; and
stone, sand, and every other material for buildkg, are
abundant. Two stages run from this town; one to Ed-
wardsvilie, and the other to Franklin. Colonel Chou-
teau’s mill dam in the rear of the south part of the
town, is a beautiful sheet of water, affording plenty of
fish and water fowl; it has outlet to the Mississippi,
below the town.

It is contemplated at some future day to open a dinect
intercourse with India by tin’ Missouri and Columbia
rivers. In the course of a few years the Illinois river
will be most probably connected with lake Michigan,
which will afford incalculable aavantages to this place,
as it will open a direct water communication, when the
New York and Pennsylvania Canals to the lakes are
completed, to Montreci, New York and Philadelphia.

St. Louis s distant from St. Charles 20 miles, Frank-
lin, 180; Carondelet, 6; St. Ferdinand, 15; Hereula-
num, 30; St. Gen view, 60 : Potosi, or the load mines.
60; Kaskaskia, 65: Edwardgville, 20; Vinocnnes, 160;
Cahokia, 5; BelleviJe, 18; Alton, 25; and west, from
the city of Washington, 982. It is by water abort 650
miles to the Council Bluffs and 1,600 to the Mandan

Grand Lodge of the State of Missouri.
Ghaxd Officers.
R. W.Thomas, F.Riddiek, , Grand-Master.
JamesKennerly, , S. G.Warden, .
WiliamBates, , J. G.Warden, .
WilliamRenshaw, , G.Secretary, .
ArchibaldGiimlle, , G.Treasurer, .
John W.Honey, , S. G.Deacon, ; and
JohnJones, ; J. G.Deacon, .
Missouri Royal Arch Chapter.
AmosWheeler, , High Priest ;
ThompsonDouglas, . King .
AbrahamBeek, , Scribe .
Wm. G.Pettus, ., Treasurer ;
Samuel G. I.Decamp, , Secretary .
Meet at the Hull, 1st Thursday preceding every full
Missouri Lodge, No. 12.
EdwardBates, , Master ;
J. D.Daggett, , S.Warden, ;
JohnWalls, , J.Warden, ;
P.Haldomn, , Treasurer ;
Wm. K.Rule, , Secretary ;
J. A.Letcher, , S.Deacon, ;
ThomasAndrews, , J.Deacon, ;
JosephWhite, , Steward ;
and John C.Potter, , Tyler .
Meet at the Hall, 1st Tuesday, in every month.
Erin Benevolent Society.

Institutsd in 1819, for the purpose of extending relief
to distressed Irish Families, who may emigrate hither
and others, whose situation might require pecuniary as-

*JeremiahConnor, , President ;
ThomasHanly, , Vice President ;
HughRankin, , Treasurer ; and
DavidGordon, , Secretary .
Stated meetings, 1st Monday in each month.
Counsellors and Attorneys at Law.
Barton, David,
Barton, and Bates, ,
Beck, and Spalding, ,
Benton, Thomas H.
Block, Etcazer,
Braekenridge, Henry M.
Carr, William C.,
Conrad, D. H.
Cozens, Horatio
Easton, Rufus
Farris, Robt. P.,
Geyer, Henry S.
Gray & Wright .
Hempetead, Charles S.
Lawless, Lake E.
Lucas, William.
Magenis, Arthur.
Peek, James H.
Shurlds, Henry.
Strotber, George F.
Wash & Carr.
White, Frederick.
Beck, Lewis C.
Carter, Edward C.
Decamp, Samuel G. I.
Farrar & Walker ,
Fenn, Zeno,
Gebert, , Doctor .
Hoffman, H. L.
Lane & Merry ,
Mason, Richard
Williams, Joseph,
Lemignon, , Doctor .
Evenhart, Elisabeth,
Laguaisse, Margaret
Harden, Jane.