is easy to see what facilities are offered ten, not only tor the manufacture, but also for the purchase of these
articles of product.
There are also In Saint Louis two large establishments far the manufacture of paints and oils; two chemi-
cle works on an extensive scale; one glue factory; one of bone-black; three starch factories; six large soap
and Candle factories; seven lard oil factories; one shut tower; one sheet lead and lead pipe factory; one sugar
refinery, about the most extensive in the United States; two organ manufactories; two for the manufacture
of piano fortes; thirty-six wagoa manufactories; eight carriage shops; two spoke and hub establishments;
one type and sterotype foundry: one mill for making cotton yarns and cloth; three mills for cotton batting;
ten large tobacco factories, besides numerous smaller onus; also, many cigar factories, large and small; eight
book binderies; one varnish manufactory; six extensive candy factories; two railroad car factories; the ma
chine shop of the Pacific railroad, manufactures cars for that road, equals in point of finish and con-
venienee to any in the country. There are three optical, surgical and mathematical instrument manufac
tories: two brush factories,besides, the Missouri Institution for the education of the blind, located in Saint
Louis, makes a great variety of brushes, all of which liiul a ready sale.
The controlling object of Saint Louis manufacture may bo said to be flour, of which there is made here
about 700,000 barrels annually. This is the product of eighteen very extensive steam mills. The quality of
this article is so superior, as to have acquired both an American and European reputation, and commands in
all markets the highest prices.
There are also nine steam saw mills; eight plaining mills; four sash, blind and door factories; four distil-
leries; thirty breweries, and numerous other establishments, as those far hats, boots and shoes, tubs and
backets; also, tailoring, coopering and marble establishments, &c., &c. which we cannot enumerate.
All branches of handicraft, or nearly all, are represented in Saint Louis, and every year adds to the number,
and increases the demand for their several product.
Saint Louis presents to the eye of the stranger wiio first visits it, the idea of great solidity, in combination
with rapid progress and great activity. The fleet of .steamboats, ordinarily numbering some fifty to eighty,
which line its wharf, receiving and discharging their varied freights—the piles of goods which so often ob-
struct the extensive levee for a mile or more in length—the numerous drays perpetually crowding, and the
incessant din and noise, fills the mind at once with an idea of the busy character of the place, and the immen
sity of its basin
Then the stately edifices, built more for strength than show, although, architectural beauty is not
ignored, but rather made to bend to the great designs Cor which the edifices lire erected, which line the prin
cipal business streets, all favorably impress the the mind with the solid character of the business of the
The chief material used for all buildings is brick, of which there arc clays in and out of the city, for the
manufacture of the finest quality.
The quantity of building done here may l>e inferred from the fact, that the brick yards make from seventy
to ninety Mumoiu of brie/:, annually! Yet, so great is the demand, that many are compelled to build
of wood who would prefer brick, if attainable.
There is a city ordinance, however, which precludes the erection of wooden buildings within an area of
about two-thirds of the city, as it existed prior to the last extension; in most parts of the populous suburbs
j brick is used, but still very many building-; are of wood.
Btone, of a very excellent quality for building, underlies the city and surrounding couutiy; but few houses
are constructed wholly of it, although many of the fine modern buildings are using- more or less of stone,
iron and marble in their constiuction. The new Custom House, the Merchant’s Exchange, and other build
ings, are employing this material, furnished from quarries in the vicinity, and beautifully prepared by the
Empire Stone Company , at their steam works.
The area of Saint Louis has been enlarged from time to time. It was first Incorporated as a town, Nov. Mh,
[ts length on the river was about OH and one-fourth miles, by a width westward of one-fourth of a
and contained about two hundred and thirty-two at
tnber 9th, 1822, it was incorporated U a city, its length on the river being about one and three-quarter
miles, its width half a mile, and its superficial area about live hundred and sixty-three acres.
February 15th, 1841, it was again enlarged; its length on the river being four and a half miles, by a width
j of one mile, and its area was about two thousand nine hundred and fifty-five acres.
February, 1856, it was again enlarged; it; length on the river being six and one quarter miles, by a width
of about two and a half miles, and embracing about nine thousand eight hundred and forty-seven acres. The
extreme length by the river is seven and a quarter miles, and extreme width from the river to city limits is
about three miles, or an area of near fifteen and a half square miles.
What the number is of stores, dwellings, &c, we are unprepared to say, but learn that the number of
homes built in 1856, was about twenty-five hundred, nearly all of them of a superior class, of brick and frame
dwellings and brick store. Few small braidings are put up here, but mostly such as will accommodate two
or more families; and notwithstanding the great number of houses erected, there are scarcely any vacant,
but are mostly engaged as soon as commeneed, whether dwellings or stores.