Saint Louis is supplied with -water from the Mississippi river, draws op by two steam engines, each of about
350 horse power, and forced through 20 inch iron pipe to the roervoir, which is located about one mile west,
and is of large dimensions. The necessity for increasing the supply of water, exemplifies the growth of Saint
Louis almost as well as any filing else.
The first reservoir was built in 1831, and was capable of containing 230,310 gallons of water, which was
amply sufficient for all the uses of the place. In 1838, enlargement was
required, and its capacity was increased 290,000 gallons.
In 1844, it was again enlarged, and its capacity increased 409,440 gallons, making the capacity of the
reservoir then located on the first hill from the river, above town, about 840,000 gallons.
In 1848, a new place was required, because enlargement was uecotupy, and no greater enlargement could
take place on the old. In 1850 the new one was completed, capable of holding 7,968,750 gallons: but this
again was found too small in 1854, when anew reservoir was built along-side of the former, capable of holding
32,248,126 gallons. The street supply,by iron pipes, extending from the reservoirs, for they are now both in
use. is over fifty miles, while of lead service pipe there is laid down over twenty miles.
Thus is shown something of the growth of Saint Louis. It is proper in this place to exhibit this growth as
shown by the census returns. The population by the census of 1820, was 4,123; 1830, 6,694; 1840, 16,649;
1850, 74,439. City census of 1852, was 94,000. City census of February 1856, was over 122,000, and the
population is now not much, if at all, short of 140,000.
To show thai wealth has steadily continued to increase, as well as population and business, we present
from the official city assessment, the periodical value of real estate in the city.
It amounted in 1840, to $8,682,606; in 1844, to 13,999,914; in 1860, to 29,676,649; in 18.32, to 38,281,668;
in 1855, to 42,991,281, and in 1856, over 60,000,000.
These figures do not include merchandize, which is separately taxed, but real estate, furniture, &C.
In as brief a review of Saint Louis as even this purports to be, it would be unpardonable to omit the arrange
ments for promoting the educational and moral improvements of the population. Yet these points cannot
be elaborated; a very brief synopsis must suffice.
There are a great number of private schools in Saint Louis, both mule and female, each ranging from the
smallest primary to the best grades of high schools and academies.
To these are to be added, the Saint Louis University, and the Webster College, located just west of the
city, on the Pacific railroad. Also, the high school of the Washington Insitute, which possesses ail the char
acteristics of a first class college.
But of all these, and beyond them, the people cherish their system of Public Schools.
“The board of president and directors of public schools of Saint Louis” was incorporated in 1836. Con
gress, by an act passed in 1812, donated for educational purposes certain vacant lands in the town, which
grant was transferred to this board. The people, in addition, by vote, caused a levy of a certain small per
centage of the city taxes, to be set apart for this purpose, in addition to which the state of Missouri has
devoted one-fourth of its entire revenue for the promotion of education in the state, of which a large amount
necessarily comes to the aid of the Saint Louis “school fund.”
The schools are managed by a board of directors, elected by those who pay a school tax, two from each
ward, the city being divided into ten wards, there are consequently twenty directors, one of whom is elected
There are now, February, 1887, eighteen large airy brick school houses owned by the board, many of which
are really ornaments to the city, in addition to their adaptation to the pupose of their erection. The board
have under their charge thirty-nine primary and grammar schools, conducted by 115 teachers, and imparting
education to over 5,000 pupils.
Besides these, the board have erected, and last year opened for the more advanced pupils of the public
schools only, a Brst class high school, which is calculated to impart instruction, free of charge, in the highest
branches of education. They are now also erecting several more school houses.
There are also two medical colleges, whose professors in all the branches of their profession, are scarcely
second to any in the country. The number of students in attendance from all parts of the country, attest
the excellency of these institutions.
The religious element is quite prevalent here; consisting of Roman Catholics, who have here an Arch
Bishop; Methodists of both north, south, German and colored; Presbyterians, old and new school, and Ger-
man; Cumberland Presbyterians; Baptists and German Baptists; Episcopalians, who have also a Bishop here;
Christians; Lutherans and Evangelical Lutherans Congregationalists; Unitarians; Associate Reformed;
Covenanters; Universalists; Swedenborgeans, and Mormons. Also, one Jewish Temple and one Synagogue.
Of churches, there are about seventy, nearly all of them large, stately and ornamental; well adapted to
the purposes for which they were erected, and are, in general, well patronized and supported.
Saint Louis has many benevolent institutions, besides hospitals. &c, &c. Many line buildings, halls, &c
Some first class hotels, boi not enough of these fully to accommodate the immense travel, being concentrated
by boats and railroads. Two b telfl will toon l e added to the list.
The railroad Interests Of Saint Louis are rapidly Increasing. Three roads leading east, make now two trips