city. There are also, .six “savings institutions,” chartered by the State, and authorized to receive deposits,
discount notes, buy aud sell exchange, &c, &c, but not to issue notes to circulate as money. The depositsin
these institutions, are between three and four millions; their authorised capital over $4,000,000. They all
stand well with the community, are rapidly growing into favor, and by their discounts are a very sensible
relief to the business community. To these we must add the home insurance companies, now numbering
twenty-two, having a large aggregate capital, which, with their current earnings, is, in the main, invested
in short, always available, discounts, for their stockholders and customers; thus, at the same time furnish-
ing ample indemnity as underwriters and facilities for business, and partly supplying the lack of banking
Many agencies, however, of Fire, Marine and Life Insurance companies of other states, are located here, so
that there is no material want on the subject of insurance.
The city is lit with gas, most of the private houses, all hotels, halls, churches, stores and most offices, are
thus supplied with light.
The gas supply is in the hands of an incorporated company, the magnitude of whose operations may be
inferred from the size of their new telescope gas-holder, recently constructed at the corner of Fourteenth and
This gasometer is capacitated to hold one million cubic feet of gas. It is thirty-five feet below and seventy-
two above the street, and is of the most desirable character. Its site was quarried from the solid rock, and
it will endure for ages. This, with the one heretofore in use, is expected to supply gas for some time to come.
For supplying customers, the company have now laid down over forty miles in length of street pipe; but
the number of public lamps, or private burners, we are at present unable to state.
Many private families, however, still use the spirit gas, of which there are several manufactories in the city.
Also, one establishment for making rosin oil, which it is said can also be used for burning.
Saint Louis is governed by a Mayor and City Council, elected by the people.
The Council consists of two boards, Aldermen and Delegates. There are two for each board, elected
from each of the ten wards into which the city is divided. The police is composed of some 120 privates,
besides 14 officers—134 in all. There are also a Comptroller, Register, Auditor, Treasurer, City Engineer,
Superintendent of Water Works, Collector of Water Rates, and Recorder for the trial of offences, &c, &c.
The revenue of the city is over $700,000 per annum, and steadily increasing. One-half of the revenue is
set apart by the charter to pay interest, light the city, and extend the water works. The city debt is con-
tracted mainly for aid to railroads and building sewers, both of which debt’s are to be liquidated, the latter
by special tax oil the property, and the former by the companies. The interest has always been paid on the
city indebtedness; besides, she has created a sinking fund from certain sources, including a portion of annual
revenue, which now amounts to nearly $1,000,000, the increase of which is used to purchase her bonds and
retire them from market.
The foregoing facts, to which allusion is also made in the preface, as having been furnished us by
JohnHogan,, Esq., embody a history full of interest to every citizen of St. Louis, as they betoken for her a
future, teeming with golden promise. To these we might add thoughts, of a character not so exclusively
practical, but which might be elaborated into a volume as large as this, were it consistent with the legiti-
mate objects of a mere Directory. The facts set forth by Mr. H. are in nowise over-stated, but rather below
the reality, inasmuch as a few weeks have elapsed since they were penned—a period sufficient, in St. Louis,
to affect, materially, the social relations, and to add much to the magnitude and increase of many branches
of the business of her citizens.
Within our own recollection, such changes have occurred, all tending to illustrate the onward progress of
St. Louis to a point of unexampled prosperity, as have astonished her most sanguine friends. If, sixteen
years ago, when we first arrived, and sojourned, for some weeks, !here, we had been told that, in 1857, the
population of the city would reach one hundred and forty thousand, we should have deemedthe asser-
tion either an idle boast, or the prediction of a dreaming enthusiast. We have, since that time, watched her
growing greatness with emotions of mingled surprise and exultation. And this has occurred, too, with but
few of those artificial aids and appliances so essential to the full development of all inland cities.
And if we go still farther back—to the year 1821, the period at which one of our ‘illustrious predecessors,’
John A.Taxton,, Esq., published the first Directory of St. Louis, a period of only thirty-six years—we have
still more cause for amazement at the contrast presented. That worthy gentleman thought it a matter of
special wonderment, that the fifty-seven years which had then elapsed since the occupation and settlement
of this spot, by Pierre La Clede Liguest and his associates, (in 1764,) had witnessed the expulsion of