This society was incorporated en the 25th of January, 1837. It confines its operations to the ad-
vancement of the medical and its collateral sciences
in general, and to the improvement and elevation of
the medical profession in the city of St. Louis, in
particular. Its members consist of three classes,
Senior, Junior and Honorary. Its officers are a
President, Vice President, Recording Secretary, Cor-
responding Secretary and Treasurer, who are elected
at each annual meeting, which is held on the first
Saturday of Jannary. The regular meetings of the
eociety convene every Saturday'at 7.30 P.M., at the
hall, corner of Fifth and Locust streets. The society
is at present in a very flourishing condition, and
numbers one hundred and ten regular members.
The officers elected for the year 1839 are as follows:
President —M. L.Linton, Ii.D.Office corner of
Locust and Tenth streets.
Vice President —WilliamJohnston, M.D. Office
corner of Seventh and Pine streets.
Recording Secretary —ThomasKennard, M.D.
Office 98 Pine street, bet.between Sixth and Seventh.
Corresponding Secretary —J. S.Haslet, M.D.
Office, Locust street, bet. Fourth and Fifth.
Treasurer —John T.Hodgen, M.D.Office, corner
of Walnut and Fourth streets.
S.E. corner of Washington aventie and Third
street. Incorporated January 24th, 1849, with full
authority "to grant diplomas, award degrees,
confer honors and exercise all and singular the priv-
ileges common to Commercial Colleges authorized
by law in other States."
JonathanJones, , Master of Accounts, President
and Acting Professor of the Theory and Practice of
Book-Keeping, Commercial Correspondence, etc.
Archibaldlnglis, and Henry M.Wibracht, , Practi-
cal Aecountante .
Julius A.Barnett, and PhillipSchmidt, , Practical
CharlesStewart, , Professor of Mathematics.
S. D.Hayden, , Professor of Penmanship.
JonathanJones, , Lecturer on Commercial Law.
North Fourth street, corner of St. Chailes. Organ-
ized 1855, under the charter of the Washington
The library is furnished with between three and
four thousand volumes, and a large supply of Ameri-
can and European quarterlies nnd magazines; also,
with a large supply of daily and weekly newspapers.
The Institute is under the management of
JohnHow, , President .
Gerard B.Allen, , Vice President .
HenryCopp, , Treasurer .
Wm. R.Bsbcock, , Secretary and Librarian .
Board op Managers —JohuHow, , Gerard B.Allen, ,
JamesLuthey, , R. E.Carr, , N. J.Eaton, . J. B.Eads, , J.
L.Faucett, , j. T.Green, , C. A.Pope, , S.Treat, . F.Wes-, , Wm. S.Cuddy, , D. K.Ferguson, , R. M.Parks, . R.
Dougherty, , J. J.Reynolds, , Wm.Patrick, , R.Sellew, ,
JosephO'Neil, , S. H.Laflin, .
The Institute has now in process of erection a large
and commodious building on Chesnut street, corner
Situated between Green street and Washington
avenue, west of Ninth street. Founded 1829, by
members of the society of Jeans, and incorporated
by the Legislature 1832, With power to confer de-
grees and academical honors in ail the learned pro-
fessions, and generally to have and " enjoy all the
powers, rights and privileges exercised by literary
Institutions of the same rank."
The Institution possesses a valuable Museum,
which contains a great variety of specimens both of
nature and of art, collected from various quarters of
the globe, especially from our own country ; also a
very beautiful And complete Philosophical and Chem-
ical Apparatus. The library belonging to the Insti-
tution numbers over 14,000 volumes, embracing al-
most every branch of literature and science, aud
containing many rare and interesting works. The
select libraries form a collection of over 7,000 vol-
Very Rev.J. B.Druyts, S.J., President .
Rev.J. S.Verdin, S.J., Vice Pres't .
" F. P.O'Loghlen, , S.J., Chancellor .
" D. J.DeSmet, , S.J., Treasurer .
" J. L.Gleizal, . S.J., Secretary ,
Rev.J. S.Verdin, S.J., President .
" J. B.Emig, , S.J., Vice President .
" F.Nussbaum, , S.J., Professor of Mental and
Rev.Edw. J.Keller, 8.J., Professor of Ancient
Rev.F. P.O'Loghlen, S.J., Professor of Astron-
omy and Mathematics.
Rev.F. P.Garesche, S.J., Professor of Physics
Rev.G. H.Kernion, B.J., Professor of French
Rev.G. W.Watson, S.J., Professor of Modern
Bev.P. J.DeMeester, S.J., Treasurer .
Rev.P.Honing, 8.J., Professor of Chemistry.
Mr.J.L'Esperance, S.J., Professor of English
Rev.F. X.Wippern, S.J.;
Rev.Adam VanKulst, S.J.;
With several additional Assistant Professors,
On Seventeenth street and Washington avenue.
Is an Educational Institution, founded in the city
of St. Louis, under an Act of Incorporation by he
State of Missouri, approved February 22d, 1853. It
comprises several departments, and is intended to
embrace the whole range of University studies,