Edwards' annual directory to the inhabitants, institutions, incorporated companies, business, business firms, manufacturing establishments, etc., in the city of Saint Louis
Historical And Commercial Review. 917
View original image: Page  0917

C.Orr, , Mr. D. B.Lindsley, subsequently becoming a partner in the
concern. This house has always been prosperous; keeping the highest
grade of goods that can be made, the sales amount to $500,000 per an-
num. One cashier, two salesmen, and two porters are employed, at an
average salary of $150 per week.

Crain, Wenrich & Co.

Crain, Wenrch & Co.company are wholesale dealers in boots and
shoes, at No. 406 North Main street, between Vine and Locust The
members of the firm are C. s.south Grain, and F. ElWenrich, . They are
also manufacturers and jobbers in Boston and Brookfield, Mass. There
are Six persons engaged in the store in this city.

Downing & Emerson.

Messrs. WilliamDowning, and r.residence WatsonEmeradiij, compose the
firm of Downing & Emerson , wholesale dealers in boots and
shoes, No. 529 North Main street This house was established twenty-
ohe years ago, and for the last eighteen years the firm have occupied the
building in whidh the business is at present conducted. This is a pros-
perouA house, as well as ah bid one. The niianttfaetory is in Massa-
chusetts.

A. McDowell & Co.

A. McDowell & Co.company are dealers in carpets, oil cloths, matting,
bouse and steamboat furnishing goods, etc., No. 606 North Fourth street
They keep an excellent assortment Of everything in their line of busi-
ness, and are liberal, as well as extensive dealers.

Wengler A Lange.

Messrs. Wengler k Lange , No. 122 North Main street, are
large wholesale dealers in every variety of fancy goods. This house
was opened in 1833, by F.Dings, , and under the management of the
present proprietors is doing an extensive business.

Stringer, Allen & Co.

Another large wholesale clothing house, is that of Stringer,
Allen & Co.company , Nos. 601 and 603 North Main street. The business
wsts started in 1836, by J. & w.west Van Deventer ; was changed in 1865
to P. L. Van Deventer & Co.company , and assumed its present firm name in 1860
The present proprietors are T.Stringer, , New York, L. L.Allen, and
J. VanNorstrand, , of this city. Capital invested* $350,000; sales,
$200,000 yearly.

Boogher Bros.

Messrs. w.west F. arid D.r.residence Boogher , of the firm of BoOgher
Bros. , are dealers in diamonds, watches, jewelry, silver ware, clocks