Saint Louis directory for the years ... Keemle's directory

The settlement of St. Louis is of a date somewhat re-
mote. The site on which it stands was selected towards
the close of the year 1763, by Mr.Laclede, , for the pur-
pose of establishing a trading post with the Indians of the
Upper Missouri and Mississippi.

On the fifteenth day of February, 1764, Mr.Laclede, ,
in company with several persons whom he had brought
from New Orleans, Ste. Genevieve, Fort Chartres, and
Kahokia, reached the site which he had previously select-
ed, and proceeded to draw the lines of a town which was
called St. Louis, in honor of Louis Xv., the reigning mon-
arch of France, who claimed the whole country then des-
ignated by the name of Louisiana.

The peculiar situation of the town secured it immedi-
ate importance. The year after its settlement, the French
Commandant , St. Ange, , arrived at St. Louis with a body
of troops, and assumed the powers of Government.—
Thenceforward St. Louis was considered the capital of
Louisiana, and continued the permanent seat of govern-
ment of that portion of country until the final transfer to
the United States.

Established on the very outskirts of civilization, in a
wilderness country, and exposed to the incursions of the
fierce tribes of Indians that surrounded them, the inhabi-
tants of St. Louis confined themselves mostly to agricul-
tural pursuits, each inhabitant being the owner, under con-
cession from the government, of a portion of land adjoin-
ing the town. A few of them, however, engaged in com-
merce, carrying on a profitable traffic in furs and peltries
with the Indians of the Mississippi and Missouri, and
supplying ihe town with articles of merchandize drawn
from New Orleans and Mackinaw, which was then a prin-
cipal depot of English trade. In the meantime the town
did not extend beyond the original limits, and there was

C