The Saint Louis directory for the years 1854-5 :

visited all parts of the country and found that the spot
on which the town now stands, was best calculated for
his contemplated parposes, as much by the richnes of
the soil as by the short distance by land to the Missouri,
Marameo and other neighboring Btreams, but principally
for the beauty of its elevation, which undoubtedly, is
without parallel in upper Louisiana. M. de Laolede,
considering there advantages, settled himself and had
the first trees felled on the 15th February. 1764. He
frequently told his friends, that he was commencing the
foundation of a town which might prove with time, to
be one of the greitcst in America. Shortly after the
beginning of this settlement, several inhabli’an:s from
Cahokia and fort Chartres, ccome and settled themselves,
M. de. Laclede encouraged and protected them against
the Indians, over whom he hud great ascendeney. These. new setters, Indians and Missouri trawl rs, (batnien,)
gave to this new setlemcnt, the name of Laclede’s vil-
lage,“ thiuigh the latter never would cons nt to it, and
caused it to be in all the official documents, nainal “St.
Louis,” which at length prevailed, lie made choice of
this name in honor of Louis XV thin kinir of France.

Since that psriod the progress of civilization and im-
provement is wonderful. It is but about 40 years since the
now flourishing, but yet more promising state cf Mis-
souri was but a vast wilderness, many of the inhabitants
of this country, yet remembering the tune when they
met together to Kill the Buffalo at the same place
where Mr. Philirsan’s Ox saw and four mil is now
erected, and on Mill Creek, near to where Mr. Chou-
tean’s mill now stands.— What a prodigious change has
been operated! St. Louis is now ornamented with a
great number of brick buildings, and both the scholar
and courtier could move in a circle suiting their choice
and taste.

By the exertions of the Right Reverend Bishop Louis
William Du Bourg, the inhabitants have seen a fine
brick Cathedral rise, at the same spot where Stood form-
erly an old log Church, then sufficient, but which now
would scarcely be able to contain the tenth put of the
Catholic congngation : This elegant building was com-
menced 1818, under the superintendence n Mr. Gab-
riel Paul, the Architect, and is only in part completed :
as it now stands is 40 feel front by 135 in depth and
40 feet in height. When completed it will have a wing
on each side, running its whole lenght. 22½ feet wide and
25 in height; giving it a front of 85 feet. It will have
a Steeple the same height; as the depth of the building
which will be provided with Bevural large befis expected
from France. The lot on which the Church, College, and
other buildings are erected, embraces a complete square,
a part of which is used as a burial ground. The Cathe-
dral of Saint Louis, can Last of having no rival in
the Unit d States for the magnificence, the value and
elegance of her sacred vases, ornaments and paintings;
and inded few Churches in Europe possess anything su-
perior to it. It is a truly delightful sight to an Ameri-
can of taste, to find in one of the remotest towns of the
Union a Church decorated with the original paintinyi of
Raphael, Raphel, Guido, Paul. Voronze and a number
of other by the first modern masters of the Italian, French and Flemish schools. The ancient and precious
go’d embroideries which the St Louis Cathedr possses,
would c irtainly decorate any museum in the world. All
this is due to the liberality of the Catholics of Europe, on
who presented these rich articles to Bishop Du Bourg, on
his last turn through Prance, Italy, Sicily, and the Ne-
therland. Among the liberal benefactors could be named
many princes and princesses; but we will only insert the
names of Louis XVIII, the present King of France and
that of the barorness Le Candele de Glyseghem, a Flem-
ish lady to whose muniflcence the Cathedral is particu -
arly indebted; and who even lately, has sent it a fine,
large and elegant Organ, fit to correspond with the rest
of tin decrations. The Bishop possesses, besides, a very elegant and valuahla Library, containing about 8000
volumes, and which is without doubt, the most complete,
scientific and literar repertory of thewestern country,
if not of the western world. Though it is not public,
there is not doubt but the man of science, the antiquary, and linguist, will obtain a ready access to it, and
find the Bishop a man endowed at once with the ele-
gance and politeness of the courtier, the piety and zeal
of the Apostle, and the learning & a Father of the
Church. Connected with this establishment is the Saint
Louis College, under the direction of Bishop Du Bourg
It is a two story brick building, and has about 65 stu-
dents, who are taught the Greek, Latin, French, English,
Spanish, and Italian languages, Mathematics elemen-
tary and transcendent, drawing. &c.—There are sever 1
teachers. Connected with the College is an Ecclesians-
cal Seminary, at the Barrens in St. Geneviave county,
where Divinity, the Oriental languages, and Philosophy,
are taught.

St. Louis likewise contains 10 common schools; a brick
Baptist Church, 40 feet by 60, built in 1818; an Episco-
pal Chureh of wood; the Methodist congregation hold
their meetings in the old court house; and the Presbyte-
rians in the circuit court room.—In St. Louis are the
following Mercantile, Professional, Mechanical, &c est
ablishments, viz : 46 Mercantile establishments, which
carry on an extensive trade, with the most distant parts
of the Republic, in merchandise, produce, furs and pel-
try; 3 Auctioneers, who do considerable business: each
pays $200per annum to the state, for a license to sel ,
and on all personal property sold, is a state duty of 3
per cent, on real estate 1½ per cent, and their commission
of 5 per cent; 3 weekly newspapers, viz.- “St Louie
Inquirer,” “Missouri Gazette,” & “St. Louis Register,”
and as many Printing Offices; 1 Book store; 2 Bind rie ;
3 large Inns, together with a number of sina ler Taverns
and boarding-houses; 6 Lavery Stables; 57 Grocers and
Bottlers’ 27 Attorneys and Counsellors at Law; 13 Phy-
sicians; 3 Druggists and Apothecaries: 3 Midwives; 1
Portrait Painter, who would do credit to any o country ; 5
Clock ami Watch makers. Silversmiths and Jewellers;
Silver Plater; 1 Engraver; 1 Brewry. where is manu-
factured Beer, Ale, and Porter, of a quality equal to
any in the western country; 1 Tannery; 3 Soap and
Candle Factories; 2 Brick Yards; 3 Stone Cutters; 14
Bricklayers and Plasterers; 28 Carpenters; 9 Black-
smiths, 3 Gun smiths; 2 Cupper and Tin Ware manu-
facturers; 6 Cabinet mark 4 Coach mkers and
Wheelwrights; 7 Turners and Chair makers: 3 Saddle
and Ham tls manufacturers; 3 Hatters; 12 Tailors; 13
Boot
and Shoe minufaoturers’ 10 Ornamental, Sign and
House Painters and Glilazi 1 Nail Factory: 4 Hair
dressers and perfumers; 2 Confectioner and Cordial dis-
tillers; 4 Cpppers, Block, Pump and Mast makers; 4
bakers; 1 Comb Factory 1 Bell man; 5 Billiard-Tables,
which pay an annual tax of $100 each, to the state, and
the same sum to the corporation; several Hacks or plea-
sure Carriages, and a considerable number of 57 Drays
and Carts; several professional Musicians, who play at
the Balls, which are very frequent and well attended by
the inhabitants, more particularly the French, who, in
general, are remarkably graceful performers, and much
attached to So rational, healthy and improving an amus-
ement; 2 Potteries are within a few miles and there are
several promising gardens in and near to the town.

By an enumeration taken by the Editor of this work,
in May, 1821, it appears that the town contain- the fol-
lowing number of dwelling bouses, viz:—
154 of Brick and Stone, and 196 of Wood, in the North parl of the
town, and 78 of Brick and Stone, and 223 of Wood, in
the south part: making 232 of Brick, &c. and 419 of
Wood, and a total of 651 There are besides the dwell-
ing houses, a numbercf Brick, Stone,and wooden Wait
houses Stabljs, Shops and out houses—Most of the
houses are furnished with a garden, some of which are
larg and under good cultivation. The large old fash
ioned dwellings, erected by the French inhabitants, are
surrounded by a piazza, which renden to m very plea-
sant, particularly during the beat of summer. The
“Steam-Boat-warehouse”, built by Mr. Josiah Bright,
is a large brick builling, and would do credit to any of
The market-house is will supplid
with fish and fowl, good meat and vegetables, fruit in
its season, and in short every thing that the country af-
fords, in abnndano at reasonable prices.