Edwards' annual directory to the inhabitants, institutions, incorporated companies, business, business firms, manufacturing establishments, etc., in the city of Saint Louis
Libraries.
Law Libarary--Located In the south wing of the
Court House. John r.residence Shepley, , president ; James
O.Broadhead, , vice president ; GeorgeeDenison, , treas-
urer ; Samuel L.Holliday, , secretary ; Ben. A.Frank-, , librarian ; James K.Knight, . John M.Krum, , John
K.Shepley, end Alex.Martin, , directors . Regular an-
nual meeting, first Monday in December.
O'Fallon Polytechnic Institute—Located on
Chesnut me t, southwest corner 7th. Organized,
1855, under the charter of the Washington University.
The library is furnished with nearly 8,000 volumes and
a large supply of Amercial and European quarterly
and monthly magazines; also with a alrge supply of
daily and weekly newspapers. JohnHow, , president ;
RalphSellew, , vice president ; Cahs. D.Dana, , treas-
urer ; Wiliam r.residence Babcock, , secretary and librarian ;
JohnHow, , Gerard B.Allen, , George P.Plant, , J. B.
Eads, , FrancisWhitaker, , Giles F.Filley, , C. A.Pope, ,
s.south Treat, Ed.Brooks, , SamuelGatty, . D. K.Ferguson, ,
WilliamPatrick, , r.residenceSellew, , Jos.O'Neil, , A. F.Shap-, , C. s.south Greley, , Robert e.east Carr, , F.Dings, , Jas.
B.Sickles, and EdgarAmes, , board of managers .
St. Lous Mercantile Library Association
--Located on 5th street, corner Locust. Incorpora-
ted, 1816. The library "contains-'5,000 volumes, as
well as specimens of painting and sculpture. Lafjy-Wilson, , president ; Samuel M.Dodd, , vice pres-
ident ; A. P.Saugrain, , corresponding secretary ; John
H.Tracy, , recording secretary ; H. H,Wernse, . treas-
urer ; J. pf.Norrls, , r.residence M.Scruggs, , H. T.Simon, , Van
LearRunyan, , L. A.Moffitt, , C. r.residence Garrison, and r.residence
W.Church, , dire tors ; John n.north Dyn, , actuary and
librarian ; W. H.Anderson, , 1st assistant librarian ,
e.east H.Larkta, , 2d asiietantlibrarian : C. H.Yeatmau, ,
3d assistant librarian ; SamuelClegg, , janitor .
Libray Of The Academy Of Science--Lo-
cated at Dr. Pope's college, 7th street, coerner Myrtle.
Library Of The St. Louis University--Loca-
ted on Green street and Washington av. west of 9th.
Number of volumes 20,000.
The Public School Library Society Op St.
Louis—Incorporated, February, 1865. Number of
volumes in thellbrary, January, 1868, 12,000. Num-
ber of members, 4,000 Stephen D.Barlow, , presi-
dent board of public schoo, ex-officio; IraDivoli, ,
superintendent public schools, ex-officio; Miss A. C.
Brackett, , principal normal schools, ex-officio; W. G..
Elliot, , C. s.south Greeley, , s.south D.Barlow, , T. B.Edgar, ,
ThomasRicheson, , JohnConzelman, , William T.Har-
ris , GeorgePartridge, , George W.Nash, , FelixCoste, ,
Mrs.Eliza C.Dunham, and Miss Kate T.Wilson, ,
board of trustees ; Stephen D.Barlow, , president ; C.
s.south Greeley, , vice president ; Nat.Meyers, , recording
secretary ; Wm.William H.Maurice, , treasurer ; John Jay
Bailey, , librarian ; louisNollau, , first assistant libra-
rian ; Thos.Thomas J.Moffet, , second assistant librarian .