Edwards' annual directory to the inhabitants, institutions, incorporated companies, business, business firms, manufacturing establishments, etc., in the city of Saint Louis
3d ward; s.south D.Barlow, and H,Schwelakhardt, ,
directors 4th ward.
Third District-Chas. L.Lips, and M. L.Pottle, , direc-
tors , 5th ward ; EherPeacock, and SamuelHager, ,
directors , 6th ward.
Fourth District--Jas,Richardson, and H. M.Thompson, ,
directors , 7th ward; A. s.south Burnes, and JohnHartman, ,
directors 8th ward.
Fifth District--Jas. D.Maguire, and AndrewMurray, ,
directors , 9th ward: JamesDarosss, and AndrewMil, , directors , 10th ward.
Sixth Districit--C. W.Irwin, and HenryBlock, , directors ,
11th ward ; Thos.ThomasHayward, and F,Parterthelmer, ,
directors , l2th ward.
Standing Committe,15 of the Board of Directors of the
St. Louis Public Schools, by appointment of the Presi-
dent of the Board for the year 1867-68:
Teachers Committee--Jas.Richards, D,chairman, , C. F.
Aleyer, , C. W,Irwin, , JullasConrad, , EberPeacock,
and AndrewMurray, .
Lands and Claims Committee-HenryBlack, , chairman ,
H. M.Thompson, , C. D.Wolf, , FrancisMots, , M. L.
Pottle, and JamesDaross, .
Leasing Committee--JuliusConrad, , chairman , Theo.
Hildenbrandt, , A. s.south Barnea, . SamuelHager, , Andrew
Miller, and Thos.ThomasHayward, .
Building Committee--C. F.Meyer, , chnirman , H. M.
Thompson, , SamuelHager, , H.Schweickhardt, , Jas. D.
Maguire, and Thos.ThomasHayward, .
Auditing Committeee-Theo.Hildenbrandt, , chairman ,
C. D.Wolf, and AndrewMuray, .
High School Committee-A. s.south Barneq, , chairman , F.
Partenheimer, and JohnHartman, .
Books and Apparatus Committee--B. W.Irwin, , chair-
man , LouisSpies, and Jas. D.Maguire, .
Library Committee-JohnnHartman, , chairman , H.
Schweickhardt, and Chas. L.Lips, .
Evening School Committee--H. M.Thompson, . chair-
man , EberNacock, and HenryBlock, .
Ways and Means Committee--M. L.Pottle, , chairman ,
SamuelHager, and C. F.Meyer, .
Salary Committee--Chas. L.Lips, , chairman , James
Richardson, and LouisSpies, .
Normal Sbhool-Located, 17th street, corner
Christy avenue. The Normal School was established
in 1858, expressly for the purpose of supplying well
qualified teachers for th lowur grades, and already
It has rumit&ed a large majority of the teachers em-
ployed by the board. probably In no Instwiec In the
country has the usefulness of a normal or training
school been inure clearly established than in this
case. Number of seats, 60; pupils, enrolled, 61
number of teachers, 3; ararage belonging, 49.
High School--15th street, corner Olive. Erected
in 1855, at the cost $40, 000. The building is sixty-
seven feet front oil olive street, and eighty-four feet
deep. It has three storles and a basement. The first
and second stories art each fifteen and a half feet
high in clear; the third story nineteen and a half feet,
and the basement nine feet. The basement is occu-
pied, in part by the furnaces, and in part by a school
room and laboratory. The first and sceond floors each
contain four rooms, situated in the corners of the
building, separated by halls and stairways. The third
floor Is an assembly hall, sufficiently large to seat 700
persons. The building has sixteen small rooms for
wardrobess and libraries. It Is designed to accommo-
date 490 scholars, of both rexes. The lot is 450 feet
front, by 106 feet derp, and as valued at $35,000.
This school is designed for advanced scholars of both
sexes. The course of studies extends through foru
years, and compromises ancient and modern languages,
higher mathematics, belle-lettres, matural sciences,
moral and mental philosophy, music, drawing. etc,
The Superior Ad autageg of this School am open to all
the youth of the city, both male and female, who can
pass & satisfactory examination in the preparatory
studies. The carefulness of the examination and the
great popularity of the school have contributed to
furnish an excellent class of scholars for this institu-
tion. For efficiency and exact scholarship the St.
Louis high school has no superior, Number of seats
400; number of teachers, 9; pupils enrolled, 278;
average belonging, 250.