Edwards' annual directory to the inhabitants, institutions, incorporated companies, business, business firms, manufacturing establishments, etc., in the city of Saint Louis

William M.Plant, in 1845, and has constantly increased in magnitude
and usefulness to the present time. The consolidation of the new firm,
by which the celebrated steel plow works of Peoria were added, has
given an impetus to business and largely increased its importance. The
works at Peoria have been enlarged, and are now the most complete in
the west, capable of turning out thirty thousand plows per annum. The
buildings are three stories high, aud cover a lot one hundred and sev-
enty feet long by one hundred and twenty feet wide, with a railroad
track running the entire length. A complete outfit of the latest and
most improved machinery has been put in, combining all the modern
facilities for doing the best work at the least possible cost. This house
is one of the, oldest in the west, and the names of Plant & Bro., so long
connected with it, have always been held in high favor in business
circles—none moret so. The immense capital employed, and the busi-
ness standing of the members of the firm, individually and collectively,
give a reputation of which any house might well feel proud.