Interview with Louis McDuffie

All right, now, tell me when and how as you were telling me on the porch, how you heard of the accident.


Well, as I, I was at work that morning and, ah, in fact he had been here that Saturday and he was riding his bike and, ah, I was outside washing my car and, ah, he was just kidding around. He kind of revved the bike up a little bit and he just kicked dirt all over my car. You know one of his little stunts, you know. And, ah, he went up the street and he came back and at that point I told him, I says, "You know, you better slow that bike down," just like that, you know. So, that was that Saturday evening and then that Sunday, or early that Monday morning, that's when I heard about the accident that he had had. And how I heard about it was somebody that worked at the hospital where he was, ah, they knew him and they knew that his wife worked there or she used to work at the hospital. But I don't, she wasn't working at the time. And, ah, some of the people at the hospital felt that somebody needed to know or they should get in touch with us because where they had him in Ward D down in the, ah, ah, jail part in the hospital. And somebody remembered that he had a brother worked for a paint company which is the company that I worked for is not far from the hospital. So they called and told me that he had been in a bad accident on his motorcycle and, ah, naturally I left work to go over to the hospital and, you know, see how bad he was hurt or whatever. And, ah, I could not get in to see him or couldn't get any information or anything and, ah, I was, you know, just really trying to get in there to see what's, what had happened. And, ah, I couldn't get anywhere. So finally they just kind of told me I had to leave, ah, in that section. So I went back to work and later on that day somebody called me from the, ah, I think it was the Sheriff's Department and told me the same thing that he had been in an accident. And I asked, "What kind of accident?" They said, "He got hurt real bad on his bike." And the person that I was talking to on the phone I was trying to get some information from them which they would not give me any, you know, they was just said that they called to let me know that he had been in an accident and where he was. And of course, all the time, they had him listed or labeled as a John Doe, you know, that he didn't, nobody, that he didn't have anybody or anything. So by that afternoon we went back to the hospital and I think they had realized that, ah, this man did have family and, ah, he wasn't the type of person that, ah, they had labeled at. And at that point he was transferred into the main part of the hospital where he was getting better treatments. And, ah, ah, but anyhow, he, ah, when they put him into the main part of the hospital he, he just, you know, I, when I really heard about the extent of his illness and every- I mean his injury, you know I just, I just couldn't bear to, to go in there to see him and, ah, some of the other family members they went into the room where he was and, ah, you know, they would come out sobbing or whatever and, ah, I knew it was pretty bad and, ah, I just couldn't bear to go in there, you know. But, eventually, ah, I just had to face it. But, ah, at that particular moment I just couldn't and, ah, a couple of days after that the hospital called and, ah, and told us to get the family together and to come out there and that was, that was the end of it. And it was just a real, you know, sad thing and, ah, I, you know, I just, just can't imagine anything happening like that to a, to a person, you know. But, ah, it really did.


Stop down.