Interview with Flint Taylor

I want you to tell the story again, try to


Um, there was, there were several points where, where, um, uh, what was happening really, uh, came back to me. And, uh, one point I really remember was, uh, when we went into the Chairman's room, uh, at one point or another to take evidence, and we went under the bed. And we found a high-heeled shoe under the bed. And in that shoe was blood. It was up, filled to the top with blood. And in the middle of the shoe was a bullet. And, uh, that just really then, the symbolism of that was just so heavy. I mean, just whatever, uh, groove you were into in, in the job you were doing, and forgetting about really what the job was or what it meant, just getting it done. It was cold, it was probably 15 degrees and we were bundled up. There was no real heat in the place. Ah, at some point along the way, I'm not sure it was the first night, the Panther's had organized people to come in from the community and over the next week or ten days, maybe ten thousand people went through that apartment, from all over Chicago, but primarily from the Black community to see what had happened. Ah, one thing that happened in the first day or two, which, uh, was very significant, that we saw happen there in the apartment was that the press at the beginning had taken Hanrahan's line, "This was a shoot-out. 200 shots were fired. The Panther's fired half of them." Nobody was really challenging that, except a young Sun-Times reporter by the name of Brian Boyer who went down there. And he saw the evidence, and it didn't take a genius to look at what at ha--what was there and see that all the bullets were going in one direction, and all those bullet holes were pointing towards Fred Hampton's bedroom. And that middle bedroom where, where Verlena and Doc Satchel and everyone was**. And, uh, so he'd written something about it. And they buried it on page 43 of the Sun-Times. And, so he quit. He, he quit, and caused the editor of the Sun-Times to come down there with his girl-friend. I think Jim Hogue I think was his name. Marshall Field owned the Sun-Times at that time, and he forced them to come down. And I remember them and they're very well dressed, coming through that apartment, looking at the evidence. Looking at what was there. And from that point forward, there was a turn in the press.